AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitestick said:
ITS MY THREAD AND I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!!!!

only joking, you are right. so basically i suppose it isn't a problem if we get a bit off topic just don't want to see it stray too far as there are people who probably don't want to have to read 10 pages of stuff that only loosely pertains to the title
:p

cvb724 said:
wow i feel sorry for amd. they're a small enough company as it is right now and they have better chips. i hope they come out with something more soon otherwise intel might have no competition at all :(. Come on AMD! :) [/QUOTE

That's ... cute.

uhhh... thanks?

its true. if intel ends up owning amd (maybe even literally) we'll have no choice other than to run all our comps with intels. they can create whatever tech they want and no one will care. we'll still buy them. but thats thinking pretty far ahead from now...

uhhh... thanks?

its true. if intel ends up owning amd (maybe even literally) we'll have no choice other than to run all our comps with intels. they can create whatever tech they want and no one will care. we'll still buy them. but thats thinking pretty far ahead from now...

It's called sarcasm lol.

And although Conroe will prove to be quite powerful I'd imagine, give AMD a few months and they'll retake the crown from Intel. If not, the competition will be more fierce, but I think the fight will be closer, I don't see AMD being knocked off the map completely at this stage.

AMD will not be knocked out of the market. Intel need AMD, and AMD need Intel. as far apart as the companies may be they do need to co-exist. alright i'll admit this point makes more sense in my head than it does in writing but i don't know how to translate it from thought to word :p. it would be kind of like having laws without police to enforce them.

Updated performance preview of AM2. These should be the exact chips that will be released in June (no memory bug).

Still showing very minimal performance increase over socket 939 chips.

It looks like if you are planning on buying a new CPU in H2 2006, Conroe will be the way to go. After that, who knows.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2738

i'm curious as to how the new AMD chips will handle high memory hits. by this i mean tasks that require constant "random" access to the memory. i think the high latencies may even harm performance.

That's what I thought too, that's why when AMD figured that the latencies wouldn't be as low as desired, they shot for "faster" DDR2 speeds to make up for the higher latency rate loss ... it didn't prove to really work unfortunetly. I'm guessing the "improved" onboard memory controller and the HTT of 333 may assist in this DDR2 transition though.

maybe we should just blow up every intel building in the world....

lol jp i agree with nitestick.. AMD does need intel and Intel needs AMD. Think about it, if there was only one company, what would push them to get better tech? nothin... compitition is good but in the end we need AMD to be ahead. I'm waitin till feb 07 to get my AM2 setup so hopefully the bugs will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom