xp help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdLeft152

Daemon Poster
This morning when i woke up my pc was off, so i turned it on and it won't get past the windows xp black loading screen, the bar doens't stop but nothing happens. I can however get into safe mode, which is what im in right now. I have all my data saved on another hard drive so i figured i would just format and reinstall windows. but when i put in the windows cd and try to load it comes up with the error "\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe". so i looked it up and says either the CMOS settings are bad, or the RAM is faulty. So im not really sure what to do here. I've removed the battery from the mobo to reset the bios settings, but whenever i POST its still the BIOS version i had before the reset. does anyone have any advice?

thanks.

Do this on another pc if you can to test it out.

This is Windows complaining that it can't access the file ntkrnlmp.exe from the install CD. This could be caused by several things. To check if it's the CD or the CDROM drive, copy the folder i386 to a hard drive. If you can copy it without any problems then it's not the CD itself. It could be the CDROM in the computer, or bad RAM or a bad motherboard. To test the motherboard and RAM, you can use Memtest86 which is a free memory tester. If you get errors running this test utility, then you either need a new motherboard or new RAM. It may also be possible that you BIOS settings are not correct, or that you have overclocked the motherboard too much. Reset the BIOS to defaults and run the tests again, if they still fail, you most probably have faulty hardware.

i have switched out the ram, and they both work in other computers. and for some reason i can't reset the BIOS, i've taken out the battery and swithced the jumpers to reset, but whenever i post it keeps saying revision 1007, and i know the factory is 1002. i'll try that memtester program, does it run in DOS im assuming? and the cd thing im doing right now.

how do you knows its 1002? if you fashed it, resetting the bios wont revert it back to 1002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom