7800 GS overclockable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreaming<>demon

In Runtime
Hi guys,

All is ok with my 7800 GS now, but I would like to overclock it from core 375 to 430 and memory 1200 to 1260 ... I tried using Rivatuner v2.0 15.8 but it doesnt allow me to get to the 'overclocking' tab like I can on my girlfriends computer ( she has a 6600 GT ) ... I am using the nvidia drivers 81.98 ...

is there any other programs that I can use to overclock my gpu?

reason I am happy to overclock straight away is that I got the XFX 7800 GS ( 375 / 1200)
where I could have got the XFX 7800 GS extreme ( 440 / 1300 ) ... so I'm sure that I have room to overclock my one somewhat.

just because there are cards clocked higher doesnt mean that your will do so well.
Nvidia supply the best quality waffers to XFX specifically for their overclocked versions which logically means the crappy waffers go in the normal cards. plus the extreme edition might have a better cooler but i dont know about that.

I'd be interested to see how far you get, my 7800GS is at 430/1300 but I dont plan on pushing it higher any time soon.

Download a registry entry called coolbits. When you right click on your desktop there should be a tab with Nvidia Display. Click on that and in the column on the left there should be a tab that says: "Clock Frequency Setting". Use that to overclock.

I used coolbits and overclocked my eVGA 7800GS from stock speeds to 475/1440 MHz. It benchmarks really well and plays games perfectly.

thanks guys, I can OC now, what would you consider to be a reasonable temperature? I was trying different settings ( 470 / 1380 ) and using ATItool's 3d test - I watched the temps, and they seemed to creep up to 74 on that trial... then I went back to stock ( 375 / 1200 ) and it still got up to 73 celcius... hmmm..

this is very exciting :)

7800GS overclocks very well even though its an AGP card. I love this thing to death. Actualy that XFX extreme has a copper cooler where as the one you have dosent. Dont quote me on that though. I have the eVGA 7800GS CO superclock w/ the black cooler and ive gotten mine (wierd) to exactly Pizzas speeds haha. I play anything perfectly even COD2 max.

I have mine sitting at 440/735 right now... It's stable and running smooth, and I use ATI tool for the OC. Works quite well, just can't open up the locked pipes with it... I might try later on though if I can find a user friendly program to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom