Motherboard power connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_PC

In Runtime
Basically i've now got my motherboard and all other components installed(exept for 7900GT because im still waiting for a replacement, i received a broken card!)
There's so many conections to make and i think i've got them all,
just want to know about the power connections to the motherboard(a Abit AN8-32X)
There are 3 that are listed in the manual:
A 20+4 connection which ive connected(ATXPWR1)
A 12v 4+4 connection where you can plug one of the 4s in(ATX12V1)
and a 12v 4pin molex auxilary connector(ATX4P1)

I want to know if all of the connection should be plugged in or only certain ones because the manual says:
This motherboard provides two power connections to connect ATX12V power.
and
The auxillary 12V power connector(ATX4P1) provides an additional power source for devices added on PCI Express slots.

Also how many 4-pin Molex devices is it safe to connect onto a single wire.(e.g. can i connect 2 fans and a HDD?)

Thanks!

not he motherboards manual, i mean all the hardware's manuals, it should have diagrams of what goes where.

I have the exact same mobo. I'm not sure if this is what you're wondering, but here goes: The boxy 4-pin square guy goes in the top left, just clicks in and is locked in place. The molex 4 pin guy that connects to your mobo is to keep a stable current, especially if you're running sli, so you should connect that one too.

oh and for the molex connected to a hdd and fans, i'd connect one molex str8 from the psu to the hdd, just to have stable power, then a seperate one for a couple fans since they dont use that much power unless u have tons

Thanks for the help R1C0CH3T
This is the setup i have atm:
my DVD-RW and floppy drive on 1 lead.
My hard drive and 1 fan(the one with lights) on another
My motherboard, the other fan(with one of those through connectors and the front LEd on another lead

I'd rather not have another cable(ive got a modular PSU) because theres loads as it is. Would i be better of attaching the fan i have on the HDD to one of the other cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom