Recover my laptop (BSOD)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristotlewilde

Solid State Member
So I was about to log into my company's VPN, when POOF! the blue screen of death overcomes my laptop.

I restarted and get the choice for Safe Mode or Start Windows Normally. Safe mode loads the drivers in text, then freezes. Normal Mode, gets to the Windows XP splah screen, then teh screen goes black.

Something tells me all is not lost, so I'd liek to try to recover without re-installing Windows. I don;t mind doing so, but there is some stuff on this machine I don't want to lose.

It is a Hewlett Paxkard ze5470-us model laptop. I have the original windows recovery disks, but they will simply restore the factory HP stuff. If I've got to do this, I'll just bust a fresh install.

Does anyoen have thoughts based on what the machine is currently doing on how I can recover?? I am pretty savvy, and have built my own systems before, so point me in teh right direction and I'll do it.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try last known good configurations? Was anything installed recently? Try booting off of an XP CD and using the recovery console to run a chkdsk /f. Post results.

Got into Recovery Console. Didn't let me run chkdsk /f, but it let me run chkdsk /p. This came back saying there were some bad sectors. I am now running chkdsk /r.

I had tried to run with last known good config and it gave me the splash screen, then followed with a black screen... nothing new has been installed lately. I barely ever use it, it just its in the kitchen where my fiance surfs the net on it and I log into work.

Will do. It is taking a while to run. Results may not be posted until the morning.

I appreciate the input and help.

So, I woke up eager to check the chkdsk results only to find that the missus decided the screen to the laptop should be closed this morning. My result was a powered down computer.

At thi spoint, I am pretty much resigned to removing the hard drive so I can back it up on my desktop, then doing a fresh install of XP. It has been three years since I bought the thing and it is full of HP bloatware anyway.

Maybe I'll even dual boot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom