Moving my OS to another hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximusNukeage

In Runtime
My OS curently resides in a run of the mill maxtor sata drive. I have heard that 10,000rpm drives are crazy delicious and I've been thinking of getting one and moving Windows to it. my question is this do I have to uninstall windows from where it is now and reinstall it and all of my other programs on the other drive or is there some other way to accomplish the same thing more easily?

Gotta agree. Use Norton Ghost.

When I bought the 160gig drive I'm using now, I had to move everything from a 40gig drive over to this one. Ghost did the trick like nothing else.

Just remember to have it copy the master boot record as well (there's a checkmark for it during the process).

use the ghost and move the master boot record (where do I find that?) and everything will be cool. thanks!

EDIT: by the way, can I use the ghost to copy games as well; and get them to work properly?

EDIT, AGAIN: isn't norton ghost just a backup utility, how do I get it to move my os to another hard drive and still kep everything functioning.

Use Partition Magic or V2i Protector to copy the disk:

s2349xl.jpg

partition0rg.jpg

but the ammount of drive space on the raptor is smaller than that of the surce disk.

and btw how is any of this diffrent that just copying the contents of one drive on to another? in the My Computer shortcut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom