DVD-RW not working in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

topherus

Baseband Member
Did a clean install of XP on a new partition. Tried to read a data DVD in the DVD-RW drive, XP says there's no disk there. I have to boot up to Windows 98SE to use the DVD drive. Under "My Computer", XP reads the drive as a DVD-RW. Also, this drive does not read a CD either. When I try to read any disk in this drive, XP asks me to insert a disk. I guess my DVD-RW is working properly, since it's fine in 98SE.

It probably could be a driver issue, I would check that you have the latest updates from Microsoft. Check their Update site for new hardware driver that could be listed for your DVD drive or the manufacture site for any firmware or driver update.

Did the drive come with any drivers on a CD? Ive never had to use any other drivers with a drive though.

I've worked with computers for more than 15 years and never heard of a driver needed for a CD or DVD drive. The BIOS and OS always recognize it. And XP didn't ask me for one. I will try to obtain one, though, if it exists. Thanks.

Still Problems with DVD-RW and Windows XP

Downloaded the firmware from Pioneer for XP (DVR-104) and installed it. XP recognizes the DVD-RW but doesn't regognize the DVD data disk. I need zipped program files burned onto this disk; I can only read the disk when I boot to Windows 98SE which I have installed on another partition. Anyone with more suggestions? (Also ran Windows Update again to see if anything is available; nothing new)

why would you burn the *program files* folder? if you think it will save you time installing programs on the next format your wrong , as its not only files, programs keeps settings/install info (for uninstall purposes) in the registry and alot of em wont run when those cant be found , might wanna use disk imaging software like acronis true image

do you use the standard microsoft ide driver or the nvidia one? if the nvidia then uninstall nforce and reinstall without the ide driver , try these
1) goto start-->run-->sysdm.cpl-->hardware-->device manager , expand "dvd/cd-rom drives" , right click the *drive* and click "uninstall" , apply and restart

2) expand "ide ata/atapi controllers" , right click each ide channel and click "uninstall" , apply all and restart

3) do as explained at this article
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314060

Well aside from that first comment thats probably a good plan from jeremy, switch the driver to MS ide, to nvidias(or whoever makes your chipset), to the MB manufacurers driver, to see if its driver problem, and just use whatever works. Other then that, Services, or maybe bios.

edit: Hey 420 posts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom