Can't Install!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose0295

Beta member
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong area. (I couldn't find "software troubleshooting)

I went and bought the 06 Norton Internet Security and tried to install it and nothing happened. Now I don't know much about computers so I'm lost. It won't even read the disc. I tried to uninstall the 05 Norton but that didn't work either. I tried to run it myself and nothing, I kind of hear it click once and then it asks me to insert the installation disc.
Games and music run instantly. I was told I may have to bring the comp to someone at the store to look at it.
Any advice on this? I don't kow what to do. I would go out and buy the Mcafee and try to install that but what if that doesn't work either?
I'm not sure what specs you need but I have the info below. It's alot but like I said, not sure what's needed to help me.

Thanks and any advice will help.

Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1800 MHz (13.5 x 133) 2200+
Motherboard Name FIC AM35 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Award (03/04/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (64 MB)
Video Adapter S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (32 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
3D Accelerator S3 ProSavageDDR (86c420)
Monitor Compaq 7550 [17" CRT] (1250715843696)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC202(A) @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST380022A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive PHILIPS CDD5301 (DVD:12x, CD:32x/10x/40x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
D: (FAT32) 3978 MB (756 MB free)
Total Size [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input
Keyboard Compaq PS2 Keyboard (2K - 3)
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Primary IP Address [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-40-CA-51-1C-5C
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (169. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (151. [ TRIAL VERSION ])

Peripherals
Printer Fax
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

Download AVG.

Its completely free, wont slow your computer down like nortons, and tends to find more viruses than nortons and mcafee put together.

http://free.grisoft.com -> then follow the download links.

To uninstall old version of Nortons (05?), first try uninstalling it through control panel > add/remove programs. If that fails, goto http://service1.symantec.com/support/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606
and read how to uninstall it using their own removal tool (silly isnt it... a company that needs to release a removal tool so their software can be uninstalled)

Hope this helps,
:D

Norton is evil, spawn of the devil and mcaffee is only a little better, AVG is just fine but if you want better protection something like Kaspersky or Pc-cilin are a good choice.

Is it really that good if it's free?

And I was able to uninstall Norton 05 (sorry for the misunderstanding on that). I meant that uninstalling the old version didn't help the new version run.

I realy don't want to purchase any other software incase they don't work either. I think trying to return the Norton is going to be a hassle (they say you can't return opened software at the store).

So...any advice on why it's not working on my pc?

You can only return open software for another copy of it if it's defective. I would try and return it for another one since you won't get your money back anyways. I wouldn't be running Norton IS on such a low end machine like yours since it tends to hog alot of resources, I'm not trying to be rude but I would prefer you run something like AVG, Avast or AntiVir since they are free and better at system resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom