IDE Drives detected... but cannot access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

htcs

In Runtime
I'm stumpped!

I have a computer that worked fine until the person installed Norton Internet Securities 2006. After the reboot, she would get the blue screen on startup and the computer would restart.

It did go into safe mode ok... I tried to remove norton through add/remove prog and that failed because the install log file is missing. So i donwloaded the SynNRT and the manual removal instructions from Symante. I did all that and restarted - still was getting teh blue screen.

After restarting, removing startup items, checked for spyware/adware... nothing.

So i tested the RAM using PCCHECK 5 and MemTest x86+. No problems with RAM, and mobo basic checks are ok. REmoved all other items from the computer (except video & the hdds). Eventually it would load into windows... then it would freeze up and sit there. I can see the hdd working...and working hard. At any random time it goes blue screen again.

Got error 0x0000008e ... very basic troubleshooting steps for this error.

I know this is getting long... i'll go point form now...

- took hdd's out, tried to access info to do a backup using USB external cases... shows up in Disk Management... but does not show up in My Computer.

- Did same with 2nd hdd and cannot see info on them.
- plugged drives into IDE on my PC - Disk Management sees them, but no drive letters assigned and does not show in My COmputer.

Anyone have a clue?

Oh and I did use the Maxtor Diags software too to see if the hdd's were ok - says its good.

Norton.. yuck!!

Sounds to me like norton corrupted one of your registry hives, try restoring to a previous system restore point.

Tried the system restore point... we tried up to a month ago.. that didn't seem to make a difference.

I will try a partition recovery tool to see if that works.

Thanks.

Any other suggestions are still welcome! :)

we should really make a sticky 'what to do if norton f's over you computer' cause thats like a thread every week.....

Forgot to add my advice, before you format break that norton disk in half, then format, reinstall windows.

I hear you! I definately believe it was the Norton GoBack Crap!

The only Norton Software that I don't have too much trouble with supporting is just the Anti-Virus... i hate the stupid Internet Securities, GoBack, Utilities and whatever else Symantec makes!!!

I will be reformatting tonight to see if the issues continue or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom