No startup, no bios, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagnozzi

In Runtime
I've built many a system before, and now I've come across a problem...

upgrading a PC for a friend, new ECS 648FX-A2 MB, skt 478, 3.0GHz HT CPU, and 1GB crucial ram...kept the old IDE HD, 40gb, and 300w power supply + dvd rom

Now, I used the old processor (1.7 celeron) to do the xp install, because I wasn't sure if the firmware for this MB was compatiable with HT (it ended up being compatible, but i proceeded with teh install under a celeron)

XP installed, great, i turn the pc off, install the new cpu/fan/heatsink, now nothing. Computer will power on, but hard drive light stays on constantly like the power light, no response, no bios on screen, monitor light just flashes like it has no signal...

where to look first? yes, i'm using the previous agp card, its a 64mb no-namer...hmmmmph. I tried putting the old CPU back in, still no luck...anyone?

Hi vagnozzi,

Sounds to me almost as if the BIOS hasnt coped with the CPU change. Have you tried flashing CMOS? (take out power from back of computer, remove CMOS battery, put your finger on the two contacts where the battery normally sits and hold it there for about 5 seconds, then put battery back and reboot)

IF that fails, you sure you remembered to plug the CPU fan in?, made sure mobo power connector is plugged in all the way?

:amazed: Use a screw driver or a jumper, good greif don't use your finger:rolleyes:. I'd start by putting the old cpu back on if it boots up, then its one of 2 problems either the new cpu is dead or your bios doesn't recognize the new cpu, and needs to be flashed with an update. Well its most likly one of those problems

Ok, I will try removing the battery....yes I have thermal compound b/t cpu and heatsink.....hmmmm....I'll keep you updated, thank you!

Nope, that did not help....

Anyone else have an idea? What could have gone wrong? Why does the HDD LED stay on all the time? Bad Power supply?

Sui said:
:amazed: Use a screw driver or a jumper, good greif don't use your finger:rolleyes:. I'd start by putting the old cpu back on if it boots up, then its one of 2 problems either the new cpu is dead or your bios doesn't recognize the new cpu, and needs to be flashed with an update. Well its most likly one of those problems

Done it for years with no problems. ;)

Sometimes the hdd light stays on if you've got the hdd LED header the wrong way round, but it wouldnt cause the computer not to boot.

Have you tried without the harddrive plugged in? Tried reseating the video card. If it has onboard vga, tried w/o vid card? If you havnt already, also try unplugging the ~edit~powersupply (sorry drunk)~edit~ completely leaving for 10 seconds and plug everything back in.

Let us know how you get on!

When resetting the CMOS try leaving the battery out for like 10-20 minutes.
Check that the mobo isn't shorting out on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom