AS5 and Big Typhoon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
I plan on buying some AS5 and using it when I install my Opteron 165 in my DFI Lanparty Nforce4 Ultra-D. My question is, if I used my AS5 now with the stock Opteron 165 heatsink, can I later add the Big Typhoon HSF without having to buy more AS5, or will I need to take off the old AS5, add new AS5 and then place the Big Typhoon on the Opteron 165? Also, would using AS5 with the stock heatsink even be worth it or make any difference?

I'm on a tight budget and that extra $60 HSF isn't in site budget wise at the moment.

Thanks.

as5 will do you good for now until you get the money for the big typhoon. When you do buy make sure you clean off the as5 previously used and reapply it.

yup reapply the as5 when you get your new heatsink. Also, one tiny tube of as5 should last you a long time

Thanks ... I figured I would have to re apply it, but I didn't know that you generally get more than one "serving" per tube. Also, what should I scrape the AS5 off with. And about how much should I apply? How many "servings" per tube should I be getting?

to clean the Artic Silver 5 off

use high purity alcohol thats above %80 concentration

Newegg.com caries it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...95&N=2010010095

U can either get the purifier on that page above, or get some real high purity alcohol... it should be in hardware stores....

and you only apply a small 'blob' in the center of the cpu and when you put the heatsink on and clip it down it will spred itself around...

AMD should be between 3/4 and just over 1 grain of rice. methylated spirits will clear thermal compound as well. normally you can get over 20 applications of AS5 from one syringe i think. i've done 3 from mine. check the instructions on arcticsilver.com. also pay attention to where it explains how to treat the HSF's surface with AS5.

Avalanch3 said:
to clean the Artic Silver 5 off

use high purity alcohol thats above %80 concentration

Newegg.com caries it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...95&N=2010010095

U can either get the purifier on that page above, or get some real high purity alcohol... it should be in hardware stores....

and you only apply a small 'blob' in the center of the cpu and when you put the heatsink on and clip it down it will spred itself around...

Hmm that page you suggested doesn't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom