Final Checklist before the Plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality and Features. The DFI Lanparty is one of the best quality motherboards out there right now, and the absolute best for overclocking.

Aside from that, you're throwing away perfectly good advice. You ask for it, so you can't just pick and choose. Opteron 165 - 1.8GHz, Dual Core. Guaranteed (as much as it can be) to overclock to 2.6GHz to beat that X2 4800+ that you're getting. This, for half the price.

Other than that, the Corsair XMS. You're throwing away money with that. It neither overclocks, nor does it have extremely fast timings. Its the shiny version of Corsair ValueSelect. The G.Skill is one of the best quality memory DIMMs around, and the absolute best 2 x 1GB overclockers.

I mean...what're you doing? All the money saved you could put into Dual 7900GTs probably...

Chill out there Green.:) I never said I was throwing it away. I appreciate you're advice and help with this I'm just doing things a little slower. Than others. I never said I was done yet..

Know what it is, yes. Played around with it here and there? Yes.Have I ever had much experience / Overly exstensive knowledge with it? No.

I am extremley interested in this post as I will be building my own coputer this summer with just about the EXACT same requirement/budget as you. On the subject of overclocking... if I will be using this computer for up to 4 years, will overclocking the opteron be worth it... will it live for 4 years - doesn't overclocking reduce lifespan?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103608
:p

I took a look at that CPU, then took a look at the 1 grand price tag, and said Screw that......I didn't choose low, didn't choose High. I went for something that had reliable reviews/tests, middle of the road price, with the ability if needed to overclock it slightly. I'm not the type of person who overclocks everything to it's max as a matter of "If it can be done" If needed, yah I'll overclock something but not max overclock it.

Alright. Changing to the DFI Lanparty board. After reading the reviews and checking out some tests it would appear that both of these boards are indeed excellent choices, however DFI offers more in terms of configuration and tweaking. Also changed to Gskill ram. Thanks for the heads up Green. If anyone wants to oppose Greens decision by all means. Go for it.

Yeah, don't get the 4800 x2, go with the opteron. Good job changing the DFI and G skill. They are the BEST!

What's yer feelin about the AMD Opteron 170 Denmark. Not as expensive as the athlon but still looks like it's good at Oc'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom