Dual 7900GT or 7900GTX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
matt2m said:
bencmarks are synthetic when you look at fps in games there in no difference really

You just totally contradicted yourself. Yes, benchmarks are synthetic. That means that there are NOTHING LIKE real-world performance. A benchmark is just that - something to test difference products against eachother inside the same medium. The benchmarks are designed to run a specific way. The camera might pan over water, or through HDR-inducing scenes and stuff like that. The benchmarkers try to make it as demanding as possible. That is why the 27FPS that a 7800GT might get in FEAR is nothing like the real-world performance in the game. Take another example; Battlefield 2. In the 7900GT/X benchmarks on Anandtech, on 1280x1024 with 4xAA, a 79000GT was getting 70FPS. I know for a fact that a 7800GT can max out BF2 with >100 FPS. That gives you an idea of how intensive these benchmarks are.

So yes, benchmarks are synthetic, and because of that the FPS in-game are nothing like those in benchmarks.

Slightly off topic. If you are looking for a video card for a duel GPU SLI system do you have to check any special compatability or will most video cards that are compatable with the PCI slot work (the motherboard handles the rest)?

Are some of the GTs and GTXs SLI compatable and some not?

All geforce 7 series cards are SLI compatable, well I don't know if the 7300s are but who would want to SLI those? I guess if they cost the same you could go SLI GTs but the cost I have to pay around here is around 600> dollars for SLI GTs and a 7900GTX is 500. Not to mention waiting till they are in stock. I would rather pay 460 for a X1900XT and wait till the G80/R600 or improved versions comes out.

SLI sucks value wise, please just don't ever buy an SLI motherboard or two SLI video cards until the technology matures to the point where you get at least 180-190% of the identical single card setup. A single 7900GT is VERY solid and will hold you over until the G80's are released.

Brtnboarder495 said:
SLI sucks value wise, please just don't ever buy an SLI motherboard or two SLI video cards until the technology matures to the point where you get at least 180-190% of the identical single card setup. A single 7900GT is VERY solid and will hold you over until the G80's are released.

ah... more of those sli is crap stuff... you don't have it so don't judge it.. and sli plays at very high resolutions unlike a single gpu.... and this person said he WANTS TO PLAY LARGE RESOLUTION... i would love to see a single card take on 2550x1600.. it just isnt going to happen.. or 1600x1200 at that..

and if 2 7900 gt's = 1 7900gtx in price.. and the 2 7900gts>1 7900gtx... THEN WHY NOT GET IT? Its not about it being twice as good.. its about getting your money worth, beating another card for the same amount.

and if 2 7900 gt's = 1 7900gtx in price.. and the 2 7900gts>1 7900gtx... THEN WHY NOT GET IT? Its not about it being twice as good.. its about getting your money worth, beating another card for the same amount.

A single 7900GT will max your specs out with fair AA and AF at 1600x1200. IMO and resolution and LCD size larger than that is kinda obnoxious but SLI would perform better, but only in that scenerio.

Also, 2x7900GT's = $650, 1x7900GTX = $525. That's over $100 more ...

EDIT: Where the **** did the topic author state he'd play at large resolutions?

sumik said:
Hehe, nice to know :) ask him where he gets his best prices here.

And I forgot to mention that I will have 23'' Widescreen HP L2335 or 23'' Widescreen Sony SDM-P234. And with resolutions 1900X1200 i need soething good. Not sure if to go with single or with SLI. And I'm pretty sure that even if I go with single I won't b buying another 7900GTX to go with SLI anywhere in the future. This setup needs to last me a long time. Unless in a year the price of GTX will dropp to $300 then I'll get another one.

Hehe, I'll even quote myself. Yeah I did mention before that I was gonna play at large resolutions.

and no.. some 7900 gts are only 309 dollars, and around that area, where 7900gtx range from 530-600+ ... and for only forking up a few bucks, he'll get that 1900x1200 resolution

ok
aproximately prices here, tha's in Canada I can get evga 7900GT for around $380 and the 7900GTX around $720 so as u can see it's only $40 extra and I'm sure I can get the prices for GT even lower at my local store. So it's only $20-40 extra for 2 GTs

Yes go with the GTs, I am so sick of hearing people suggest playing the stupid waiting game on the G80s. No one knows how good they will be, when they will come out, how much they will cost so it's dumb. I know about the direct x 10 crap, so I dont wanna hear about it. Fact is, if you play the waiting game on technology you'll be waiting forever. As soon as the G80s come out ATI and Nvidia will pull some new stuff out that is supposed to dominate the G80s' and you'll only have to wait a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom