very simple video card ? from newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsurg

Beta member
I am slugging it out with my old Dell 4100, and the video card is dying but the computer is still useful.

I need to upgrade to a cheap video card in the <$40 range. While I realize that my 866mhz processor is funnier than a lot of television sitcoms, I might as well get a graphics card that will max out the old mobo's capacity, no?

Dell's stats for my mobo are:
Expansion Bus
Bus types PCI (version 2.2) and AGP (version 2.0)
Bus speed AGP: 66 MHz
PCI: 33 MHz
AGP card connectors one universal connector that supports AGP 4X cards
AGP card connector size 132 pins
AGP card connector data width (maximum) 32 bits
PCI card connectors five
PCI card connector size 124 pins
PCI card connector data width (maximum) 32 bits

So my question is, do I waste money if I buy a graphics card that has a greater than 32 bit memory interface, given that my data width is 32 bits max on the AGP card connector? Or am I misunderstanding the meaning of the AGP card connector data width?
Thanks to anybody who can help!

Wow that was a quick reply, thanks.

Newegg actually seems to have that 9200 for quite a bit more ($70 and up) which seems like overkill for my computer. I saw this powercolor 9250 for $37 shipped, which seems OK: http://www.acnt.com/product.asp?pf_id=VCAA9250P
Newegg has all kinds of 64mb cards available for $26 shipped, but I'd spend a bit more if it would make any difference in simple gameplay.

But would games on my computer even benefit from that card with a 128-bit memory interface, given my AGP port?

Still, the question is, would it even matter that I had a decent graphics processor, or would my system and AGP port just be a bottleneck for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom