550W, 650W or 750W ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not always watts if its a low quality 700 watt psu with low rails and low amps it wont run much.
grab a 550 watt with strong rails and good amps and you are good to go but the antec and silverstone psus you showed are good anyone of those

apokalipse said:
I have a few reasons why I don't like Vista. basically it's because Microsoft is trying to control everything through Vista.

*edit*
you could get an X2 3800+ and overclock it

Ummm ok.

Nah im getting the 4400 so then i can overclock it to the same as 4800+! and save myself £100

To matt2m he just said hes chosen the Hiper. He could take ages looking for a psu.

I know what you mean about low quality PSU's
but as P (Watts) = VI (Volts x Ampers)
the watts are proportional to the amount of ampers it can output

*edit*
Mentali$T said:
Ummm ok.

Nah im getting the 4400 so then i can overclock it to the same as 4800+! and save myself £100

To matt2m he just said hes chosen the Hiper. He could take ages looking for a psu.
should have said, that edit was directed to SWCheetah

yah but efficiency why are some better psu's outputing more amps than other psu's of the same wattage but yah i understand about that its proportianal.
but remember toms hardwares psu only the best lasted the full 24 hours test at full load for there raiting and psus that can do that are very well built will last or that are properly rated because most manufactures show peak wattage not the constant wattage the only psu make i have seen do that is pc power and cooling the label the max and the constant wattage

Vista is going to be buggy and hog up memory. You would need at least 1GB for an office computer to run smoothly and need 2GB to play games well. Getting a DX10 card at launch would be more of a waste because so far I think Crysis (I think that is what it's called) is the only DX10 game to be announced, and that doesn't come out till 2007/8. And although the G80 or the R600 are going to be very powerful compared to the 7900GTX/X1900XTX those cards will play games (like UT07 and ET: Quake Wars) on max/high settings with decent frames without a problem

Just because a card is DX10 doesn't mean it's going to use more power. DX10 is all about rendering and software, it won't have make cards use more power just because it is capable of rendering DX10.

500-600W will be plenty of enough power for this generation and next generation GPUs (single card setups).

My plan is getting a X1900 XT now and grabbing either a second generation DX10 card (ie. G90, R700, etc.) or a souped up G80 or R600 (like how the 7900s are improved 7800s).

matt2m said:
yah but efficiency why are some better psu's outputing more amps than other psu's of the same wattage but yah i understand about that its proportianal.
but remember toms hardwares psu only the best lasted the full 24 hours test at full load for there raiting and psus that can do that are very well built will last or that are properly rated because most manufactures show peak wattage not the constant wattage the only psu make i have seen do that is pc power and cooling the label the max and the constant wattage
yes, that's exactly it. the PSU can output a certain maximum output (which is still governed by P = VI)
but a lot of manufacturers just take the peak output and rate the PSU at that.

but good PSU manufacturers will test their PSU's to find out what their constant output is and use that as the rating.
also, these manufacturers will use better quality parts

for example capacitors. cheap capacitors often explode or leak when they heat up too much. good quality capacitors will withstand the heat
also, a good PSU usually has better cooling aswell.

Heh, we all did physics in high school (and I'm still doing it at university...), everyone nowadays knows about the equations for electric power, &c. I think.

But, like I said, I don't know anything about PSUs so I'm kinda confused again. Is the Hiper type R a good quality PSU, compared to say, Silverstone or Antec?

I don't know what kind of power, current or voltage my components are supposed to draw (or will draw once they're OCd), so I'm at a loss to make a comparison.

I do understand that manufacturers sometimes try to con customers by listing the PSUs peak output rather than the average, so I'm looking for that, but that's about all I know. :S

Also the guy at Nintek told me that the Hiper 730 is coming out soon, but that probably wouldn't be necessary I guess...

SWCheetah said:
Is the Hiper type R a good quality PSU, compared to say, Silverstone or Antec?

Yes it is very good quality. and it will be fine even with SLi/Crossfire.

Okay, with that, I'm happy. :)

One more thing... If sent on Monday by courier from Sydney, how long do you think it would take to be shipped to Central VIC?

What about if it was shipped from Perth?

I really want this before Easter so I won't have to wait ages for it. I have a week off after Easter and I don't wanna be missing out on my cool new computer... :S

And apokalipse, I already ordered my Athlon 64... I was told it would be fine for now. Do you think I should have gotten the X2 3800+? I think it's actually a bit cheaper than the Athlon 4000+, too...

I wouldnt have a clue about shipping. i live in the UK and only buy from the UK lol.

I think you should have got the X2 3800+ you could have overclocked it to a X2 4600+ as its only 200mhz difference. If it was quite easy then i would send it back and get the X2 3800+. Games coming out this year will be using dual core so its better to have that. (unreal tournament 2007!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom