Building an HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpunk

In Runtime
Right now I'm running an overclocked AMD with a 7800 GTX OC which is perfect for the level of gaming that I do. HOWEVER, I am starting to build a HTPC and have a feeling that I do not need such an extreme processor, a ton of memory, or a top of the line video card to satisfy the needs of an HTPC. What are the basic requirements needed for a good HTPC with HDTV and gaming capabilities?

Which CPU?
Which video card?
How much memory?
Which HDTV tuner?
What quality of a sound card?

Money is not an object, but like I said, I don't think I need top of the line hardware to make a good HTPC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

define "gaming capabilities".

that could very well define how the whole comp will look like.

aliasaid said:
define "gaming capabilities".

that could very well define how the whole comp will look like.

I will use my current computer with the 7800 GTX for my primary gaming. I want to be able to use the HTPC for some gaming, but nothing that intense. I want to primarily use the HTPC as a media center PC connected to a large HDTV.

Ya, my computer would work, but the only problem is the aesethetics. I want a separate, HTPC looking case, in my entertainment center, that is only responsible for media entertainment.

AMD 64 3200
1 GB of value ram
Also you might want maybe a 6600 gt with a Creative Xfi xtrememusic sound card.

i would have posted this in that section, but looked, and didn't know it existed, sorry!

seriously, just get something like this:
Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939

2 x 512MB PC3200 value RAM

Nvidia 6800 GS PCI-E

MSI K8N Neo4-F

120GB/160GB Seagate SATA

Antec 500W Smartpower

17" LCD (8ms or lower)

some random case

LG 16X DVD burner

its a pvr and he's gonna watn to save a lot of stuff so get a bigger hard drive. don't get a random case get a nice one! maybe that thermaltake mozart.. look good. and lcd screen? its gonna be hooked up to an HDTV.. no monitor needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom