Harddrive Size Detection PRoblem

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarLordahl

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I just built my first puter and I'm trying to install an OS. (namely Windows XP Home.

When I boot to the BIOS, the BIOS shows that I have a 250GB harddrive. That is correct.

I have a 16MB Cache WD Caviar 250GB 7200rpm Sata 300 harddrive connect to
the Sata 1 plug on my Asus A8N-E motherboard.

However, when the Windows disk partition screen comes up, it only shows 131GB as unpartitioned space (So roughly the same as a 150GB harddrive).

I tried installing Windows 2000 Pro. Same thing.

What am I doing wrong? I've never built a computer before and I assume this is a standard question. Sorry in advance.

VarLordahl said:
Hey guys,

I just built my first puter and I'm trying to install an OS. (namely Windows XP Home.

When I boot to the BIOS, the BIOS shows that I have a 250GB harddrive. That is correct.

I have a 16MB Cache WD Caviar 250GB 7200rpm Sata 300 harddrive connect to
the Sata 1 plug on my Asus A8N-E motherboard.

However, when the Windows disk partition screen comes up, it only shows 131GB as unpartitioned space (So roughly the same as a 150GB harddrive).

I tried installing Windows 2000 Pro. Same thing.

What am I doing wrong? I've never built a computer before and I assume this is a standard question. Sorry in advance.

Come On Guys - someone;s gotta know the answer to this. I'm sure it's some SATA setting in the BIOS or something!

Thanks ahead of time guys!

Have you installed XP yet? Once you do that then you can sort out the hard drive. All you need is partition software to locate that unused space. I had the same thing with my harddrive. I could send you the software through like msn or something but it would take quite a while as it is 30Mb.

Oh right i see what your saying now. sorry, yeah you just go to microsoft website and download it.

apokalipse said:
you need at least Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2000 SP4 to get over the limit

you can make another XP disc and slipstream SP2 onto it (this is legal as long as you have a licensed version of XP)
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

after that, use your new XP disc to reformat the drive to its full capacity, and reinstall

THANKS SO MUCH!

I do have a legal copy of XP - it's just OLD!!!

You guys are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom