BIOS POST and random reboot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJase

Beta member
Hi all been trawling thru the previous posts but cant really find what i'm looking for. Basically my system would randomly switch off and reboot itself (no blue screen or error messages) just shut down and started up. did this a few times so i reformatted and reinstalled everything, worked fine for a couple of weeks and then started doing the random reboot thing again the other day.

Reboots became more and more frequent, as in would start up be halfway thru loading windows and then do it again, upon rebooting it would make the beeping noise which i now know to be the POST testing the internal speaker.

Tried running memtest, halfway thru it rebooted as per above. Tried running mem test with only one stick in (PC Spec below). on each of the two sticks memtest started then the random reboot happened.

Checked all connections, plugs wires etc and everything is secure.

Now, when i press the power button on the case the fans start up and the MB LED's come on but there is no beep and the system doesnt boot. I'm assuming this is cos the POST test is not running? If i leave the comp for half hour or so it will sometimes beep and appear to start to boot up but then halfway thru will shut down and not boot but the fans will carry on running.

From what i've read in other posts its prob going to be my processor? but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what is wrong with the **** thing i would be most grateful. System is less than a year old so still under a parts warrenty.

System spec;

Athlon 64 ATX Motherboard sk939
Athlon 3500 64bit CPU
525w PSU
1GB PC3200 DDR 400MHz DIMM Memory (2 sticks)
200GB SATA HD
256MB ATi Radeon X800
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
Windows XP SP2

Oh forgot to say it has 5 fans and the temp never goes above 20 degrees celcius so i doubt its the processor overheating (as has been suggested by a friend of mine). Cheers

Swap out the power supply for a known good one. With random reboots, and no errors, this is usually the case. If it still does it when you have another power supply hooked up, then start looking at your memory and processor.

i've already checked the memory using a known working stick and it still kept randomly rebooting, or rather it would start up, get halfway through the boot and then restart all over again, most frustrating! Am going to go buy a new PSU now, see if that solves it.

After all that it turns out that the cpu was buggered. Sending it back to the manufacturer as its still covered under warrenty, out of pocket for now as had to buy a new one but got a new MOBO at the same time, everythings running so much nicer atm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom