Confused; Does the CPU or the mobo define comp speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
first off its maxtor or samsung, not seatgate. if you want SATA,.... western digital and seagate do makt those. FA500S60 is not a maxtor model number. goto maxtor.com and use there drop-down box. match the number with your hard disk.

if you have an ata100 disk and you use ata133 cable, it still runs at ata100. having faster cab;e means nothing if your disk doesn't support the speed.

True_Orb said:
So I HAVE to buy a maxtor or seagate if I want a fast hard drive? :(

That sucks, I wanted a quiet seagate! =/

Anyway its a Maxtor and the code # is FA500S60, there's a host of other numbers and letters on there. The cable for it is ATA 133. It's a rounded cable I bought a few weeks ago, does that mean that it's running at ATA 133?

I found the model but it didnt say whether its ATA100 or 133.

"Maximum Capacity of 40.9 GB

Supports Ultra Mode 4 for up to 66 MB/sec data transfers

2 MB Cache Buffer

5,400 RPM

< 9.0 ms average seek time"

Re: Re: Confused; Does the CPU or the mobo define comp speed?

HoLoCroN said:
Good Question, here is how it goes.

The CPU is designed to run at a certain frequency (Speed) lets say 2.5 GHZ by its manufacturer. (Intel/AMD.. etc.)

The CPU is inserted onto the motherboard, and the motherboard has to be told what the frequency (Speed) of the CPU is so it can register...2.5 GHZ! (Most of the time this is done automatically by the motherboard but there are motherboards out there that let you set this up manually.)

The motherboard runs the CPU at the specified speed.

Here is a simple illustration: You are in a car with a V8 440 engine. How fast can you go?? It depends on how much gas you give the car. The more gas, the higher the speed. So even though the engine (CPU) has the capacity of going fast, it is up to the accelerator to proportion the gas to the engine (MOBO).

Cars have a limit on the top speed (lets say 160 MPH) this is regulated by the car's computer. The MOTHERBOARD is what regulates the speed of the CPU. The motherboard is what controls how fast your CPU will run.

If you can find a way to tell the motherboard to crank up the juice on your CPU... Your 2.5 GHZ CPU can work at 3.2 GHZ. This is a technique called Overclocking.

So, the speed of the computer goes hand in hand with the CPU and the motherboard.

Also, if you intend on overclocking your computer, you have to make a few adjustments, you have to make sure your CPU has proper cooling.

What happens to a car that is driven and it overhearts???? It shuts down. Same holds true for a CPU.

You can go to http://overclockers.com if you have anymore questions on overclocking.
[/QUOTE

You where doing fine till you got to overclocking.
I'd rather take the "bus" get it and a 512 cache.
]:eek: :eek:

As you can see, there is allot involved when determining speed and performance of a computer.

Processor (Including the size of the L2 Cache)
Motherboard
RAM
HDD (RPM of the drive)

And a few other things.

I just wanted to know what defined how much Megahertz or Gigahertz it had, I know that lots of things factor into how fast a computer is.

Well ok

True_Orb said:
I just wanted to know what defined how much Megahertz or Gigahertz it had, I know that lots of things factor into how fast a computer is.

The way i see it is how you maintain it,after all It's
"Your Computer" right
See the message from Defrag.

Deadguy i never said that, you are putting words in my mouth man :( if someone is buying a new computer, im just saying it makes more sense to get a fast hard disk if your gonna get a fast processor.

people seem to be more concerened with memory bottlenecks, ect when they should concentrate elsewhere to make their PC faster. btw Holocron it is not the hard disk RPM that tells you how fast a HDD is. there are 7200RPM hard disks in ATA100 and ATA133 flavors

True_Orb i would need to know your exact model number to tell you. maxtor hard disks are all ATA133 i think so maybe that doesn't even matter.

Deadguy said:
So your saying that anyone with a 100ata 7200rpm drive to throw them away .Rush out and buy a raptor or Sata cause they are bottle necked with there desktop.There is such a huge benafit it is a must have.

"94098U8 Maxtor DiamondMax" is my hard drive.

Now how would I go about hooking up SATA? What is different about it? Is it simply a matter of getting a compatible hard drive, compatible cable, and the right socket on the mobo and hooking them all up?

Let me see if I have this straight

ATA100 slowest
ATA133 faster
SATA faster than ATA133
RAID fastest but unstable, requires files to be backed up.

Dead guy i just got a 160gig sata drive i used to have a 80gig maxtor. my computer runs probly almost twice as fast.. screw what any one says its all about the results

a RAID isnt the same thing as sata or ata 100 or 133. A RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) is how they are configured not what they are ... meaning, you can have a raid 0 using 2 ata 100 drives or any kind of drives. you follow what im trying to say??

This should hel,p you understand what i mean
http://www.raidweb.com/whatis.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom