What Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sell224

Baseband Member
OK.. well here I go. I have been tweaking and messing with oblivion for the last week or so, but I still havent gotten the performance and graphics I have really been wanting.

My comp is an alienware aurora 7500:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+ (clocked at 2.41Ghz)
2 gigs ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU (I guess its the ultra?)
A8N-SLI DELUXE mobo

When I put everything up to what I want to.. with AF x4 and HDR on at 1200x1000 or whatever that highest setting is.. I am getting decent performance. In normal areas I can get up to maybe 25-30 fps outside, but in more densely forested areas I get down into the low teens. I would love to be able to play the game at 1600x1200.. with AFx16. BUT.. my graphcis card doesn't even support that resolution.

SO.. I'm thinking about selling my graphics card and buying a newer one. Perhaps the 7800? or 7900? I honestly dont know enough about graphics cards to choose. Could someone help me out and tell me perhaps what is the best graphics card for running obvliion and other games at the moment. I'm not aiming for a 900 dollar card.. something at the most maybe 400 (but could you tell me whats out there also).

Also, if I did buy a new graphics card, do you guys know what I coudl do with my old one? I dont have a box for it, so I think it might be a bit hard selling it on ebay (I bought the computer from aliewnare, they sent me everything prebuilt).

Also.. would you guys suggest two cards hooked up via SLI or one really **** good card?

Lastly, I have heard about "bottlenecking". I am pretty sure my processor is pretty good, but If I got a real high end vid card, would there be a problem with my processor being not good enough? I am running at 110 % of the standard 2.21Ghz for processor (using AI overclock), to be 2.42.

Any help is appreciated.. thanks!

hmm thanks. I actually just stopped by microcenter.. I am leaning towards the Radeon X1900XTX. It just looks beautiful :).

Woudl you suggest buying it on new egg?

And what is PSU? haha.

And lastly.. what is a good 20' LCD monitor to buy.

Yeah, even with that x1900xtx it's gonna be hard to put everything WAY up. But it will be a huge improvement.

Sell224 said:

Would you suggest buying it on new egg?

And what is PSU? haha.

And lastly.. what is a good 20' LCD monitor to buy.

I dont see anything wrong with buying from newegg...alot of people on this foum by from there

PSU = Power Supply Unit

Dell make some nice lcd monitors :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom