SLave Drive problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milliteq_CEO

In Runtime
I would like to know how to slave drive on Windows XP. I was told to just plug the neccessary plugs into the back of the other Hard Drive, and away I shall go. But, I tried that and all I get is OS not found. What should I do?

i assume you got one hd running xp+another one you just connected , you need to set the boot order right in the bios,make the hd with the operating system first in the list

1) yes that will work, but you need to set the Manual Jumper on the Back of the HDD correctly... if you dont have any other OS's installed, it will auto detect, and you wouldnt need to do what jeremy said.

If your putting the OS HDD into a slave position just set the Jumper on the back onto the pins 'SL', look at the top of the HDD it shows you instructions. (at least all modern HDD's do)

2) why do you wont your XP HDD as a slave?

You see, I got a new computer recently, because my old one didn't work anymore. I took the hard drive out, and I wanted to stick it in my new one so I can have my old files.

ok, that makes more sence.

Did you unplug the computer from the wall as you installed the old HDD into the New computer? because it should be.

and did you do anything with the New Harddrive in the New computer? or did you just leave it exactly how it came?

And did you double check the Jumper settings on the back of your old HDD as i told you?

Well, I unplugged everything from the back of the tower (as I should). I left the Harddrive the same. And, I didn't look at the computer yet, because I am not at my house at this point in time.

I don't know if this is any help, but my new computer in my room is actually my old family computer, Windows ME, upgraded to XP. Would that make it a different "ballgame"?

if it was working befor you put the slave drive in... then no, it doesnt change a thing.

ANd after, would I beable to format it and put something like Linux or another version of Windows on it and be able to choose which OS i want to use when i log on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom