Static

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangefiery

Baseband Member
This is my first time trying to build a computer. What do I do about the static?
What tools do I need?

i read that if u put your hands on ur psu or on the plastic ur mobo comes in that gets rid of any static. you prob only need phillips screw driver for the mobo.

yeah if u just touch ur case you'll be grounded, but thats not for static electricity, static electricity doesn move, hence the name 'static', for static you need a wrist strap for static. and touch the case with ur foot or tie a metal wire around your wrist and tie the other end to your case or something to keep yourself grounded.

you shouldnt hav to do this anyway just turn off the psu and unplug it then u wont hav to do that. when i built my pc i just touched the psu b4 i did anything.

yeah just touch your pc. usually static shock doesn't happen much, and if it does it prolly won't severely damage your components. i'd buy an anti-static wrist strap just to be safe though, they have them at radioshack.

Stand on the rough, dry surface, such as tile without a sealant.

I killed my motherboard with static electricity. I didn't even have the computer open, and the static rushed through the plastic button, down the cable, and fried the thing. It's nothing to be taken lightly.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom