Built my new computer, need some experienced help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarLordahl

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I posted a while back about the parts I ordered.

Well, they arrived today, and I built my computer for the first time ever.

It took me 141 minutes, total :) I think that's not too shabby for a newbie.

Just fyi, here are the specs:

amd3800+ x2/Asus A8NE motherboard/AMD heatsinc/2x1GB of A-line ram/WD 16mb Caviar 7200rpm 250GB HDD/XFX 6800XT/NEC DVDRW/20.1 inch widescreen ACER monitor/Antex SonataII w/450w Smart Power.

so as I stated, I got everything together. But i have a few nagging questions:

1) I have a PCIe 16x Video Card. I plugged it in. It just used a standard 4-pin power cable though. However, coming from my PSU is a squarish four pin cable that has printed on it "PCIex." Am I missing something? Do I need to plug this in somewhere, or is it just for high power PCIex cards like a 7900GTX or something?

2) I forgot to put that little plate in that covers the gaps between the Keyboard, Mouse, USB, and other plugs on the back of the computer. Is there any way to get this in without uninstalling everything, motherboard included?

3) I loaded the computer, and the screen comes on OK and everything. I configured the bios, andchecked everything out. The puter recognizes the ram, the harddrive, etc...

4) After that it says something like:
"No system found on C:"

This just means that it's time to install Windows, right?

That's about it.

Oh, also, I have like tons of loose wires hanging all over the inside of my computer. Is it a good idea to kind of "bundle them" together?

VarLordahl said:
Hey guys, I posted a while back about the parts I ordered.

Well, they arrived today, and I built my computer for the first time ever.

It took me 141 minutes, total :) I think that's not too shabby for a newbie.

Just fyi, here are the specs:

amd3800+ x2/Asus A8NE motherboard/AMD heatsinc/2x1GB of A-line ram/WD 16mb Caviar 7200rpm 250GB HDD/XFX 6800XT/NEC DVDRW/20.1 inch widescreen ACER monitor/Antex SonataII w/450w Smart Power.

so as I stated, I got everything together. But i have a few nagging questions:

1) I have a PCIe 16x Video Card. I plugged it in. It just used a standard 4-pin power cable though. However, coming from my PSU is a squarish four pin cable that has printed on it "PCIex." Am I missing something? Do I need to plug this in somewhere, or is it just for high power PCIex cards like a 7900GTX or something?

2) I forgot to put that little plate in that covers the gaps between the Keyboard, Mouse, USB, and other plugs on the back of the computer. Is there any way to get this in without uninstalling everything, motherboard included?

3) I loaded the computer, and the screen comes on OK and everything. I configured the bios, andchecked everything out. The puter recognizes the ram, the harddrive, etc...

4) After that it says something like:
"No system found on C:"

This just means that it's time to install Windows, right?

That's about it.

Oh, also, I have like tons of loose wires hanging all over the inside of my computer. Is it a good idea to kind of "bundle them" together?

1.) Not sure about your specific card, but i don't think it needs it. if there's no place to put it then it doesn't need it. :D

2.)i doubt you can do it without reinstalling everything but don't quote me on that.

3/4.) Yeah if you haven't installed windows thats prolly why.

And yes bundle up the wires as best you can and try to hide them away somewhere, like in an open optical drive bay. it will help your airflow

hope this helps.

Re: Re: Built my new computer, need some experienced help!

infiltrator7 said:
1.) Not sure about your specific card, but i don't think it needs it. if there's no place to put it then it doesn't need it. :D

2.)i doubt you can do it without reinstalling everything but don't quote me on that.

3/4.) Yeah if you haven't installed windows thats prolly why.

And yes bundle up the wires as best you can and try to hide them away somewhere, like in an open optical drive bay. it will help your airflow

hope this helps.

That helps alot!

Thanks!!

One more question.

I bought an OEM DVDRW. It didn't come with mounting brackets. My case didn't come wiht mounting brackets either. Where can I buy DVDRW mounting brackets for an Antex Sonata? The drive just kind of loosely sits in place currently.

Re: Re: Re: Built my new computer, need some experienced help!

OH, and something that could be a major problem

When I pulled the AMD heatsinc out of the box, I thought it had a plastic cover over the thermal paste. So in Went to "peel it off," but before I discovered that there was no label, I pressed a finger print into about 10% of the past. There were some *SMALL* areas that appear to not be covered in much paste anymore. About 90% of the paste is untouched. About 7% of it has fingerprints, and MAYBE 3% is baren. IS this ok? Or shoudl I buy some thermal paste and remedy this immediately???

im not sure, but its always useful to have some AS5, and i think its better to put the paste yourself.

yeah you pretty much damaged the past. don't feel bad though cause i did the exact same thing, lol. i would buy some arctic silver 5 paste. you gotta wipe off the other stuff though, do that by putting 90% isoprobyl alcohol on a coffee filter then wiping it off the Heatsink. then add your AS5.

about the brackets. you have an antec sonata II case right? i have the same case, and there should be brackets in there. i couldn't find them at first myself, but they're attached to the back of the optical drive bay covers that pop off. i think they're purple.

infiltrator7 said:
yeah you pretty much damaged the past. don't feel bad though cause i did the exact same thing, lol. i would buy some arctic silver 5 paste. you gotta wipe off the other stuff though, do that by putting 90% isoprobyl alcohol on a coffee filter then wiping it off the Heatsink. then add your AS5.

about the brackets. you have an antec sonata II case right? i have the same case, and there should be brackets in there. i couldn't find them at first myself, but they're attached to the back of the optical drive bay covers that pop off. i think they're purple.
THANKS! When I get back from class I'll see if the brackets are there!

Also, will I be fine just running hte computer for a little while (3 - 5 days) while I wait for the AS5 to arrive? I wont' be gaming or anything - just setup type stuff.

Or should I cease all operations until the AS5 arrives?

ehhh, i'm not totally sure. i assume that you probably could if you're not doing heavy gaming, but i would hold off just in case. there might be a store around you that has something like as5, just to tide you over until the as5 arrives. if they don't though, i would personally wait a few days just to be safe.

infiltrator7 said:
ehhh, i'm not totally sure. i assume that you probably could if you're not doing heavy gaming, but i would hold off just in case. there might be a store around you that has something like as5, just to tide you over until the as5 arrives. if they don't though, i would personally wait a few days just to be safe.
I just ordered some AS5.

I won't be getting Windows until next Monday anyway, so this is a moot point.

VarLordahl said:
I just ordered some AS5.

I won't be getting Windows until next Monday anyway, so this is a moot point.

yeah, you can't do much with your computer without an os lol. the AS5 is better than the AMD stuff they put on there anyways. if you have any more questions, feel free to post em. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom