Cant decrypt files

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcat75

In Runtime
My Music folder in the C drive has some music files that are encrypted and I cant decrypt them.... what happened was I was forced to delete my current windows installation and install a new one and I chose a different username than my old one and now I cant play the MP3's in the My Music folder because they're all encrypted...... is there any way at all do decrypt them? I tried unchecking "encrypt this file" but it wont lemme keep the changes..... please help!

Oh yeah I got windows XP SP1

what you are using is called winxp EFS encrypting file system. since you forgot to export and save BOTH your keys and certificates before you re-installed windows, you are basically screwed. but, there is a way to crack the encryption, i would love to tell you how if i knew.

a good cracker or hacker might know how to do this. i doub't any programmers on this board know how to break microsoft's encryption scheme.... might want to try another forum for that.

What would be the point of encryption if you could just bypass/crack it at will?????

Sorry mate but your stuffed and if you could bypass it a public facing forum wouldn't be the place to post it (and feel first hand the wrath of M$.......).

you need to be asking a programmer or cracker/ hacker who knows how to break microsoft's encrypting file system. someone was telling me that a brute force attack will break the encryption.

use google to search for some forums or your answer. we have a programmer section that you can try, but i think maybe you are asking in the wrong place here.

OK Madcat75,

You can try 2 things and see if they work. I don't have
WinXP Pro so let me know. You can create another partition
on your harddrive and format it using FAT32 and then
copy the file from the NTFS partition to the new partition.

If you can't add an additional partition you can try copying
it to a pen (usb) drive or mp3 player.

Fat32 doesn't support file encryption so it's suppose to
remove this when moved to the new partition.

If you are the administrator of the machine and can access
the folder and file try right clicking on it and going to properties, advanced, you should see a detail button next to EFS file encryption. You should have a window popup to allow you
to add another user to view the file option at which point
you would add the computers (administrator) login name.

What you are looking for is a Data Recovery Agent for EFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom