Anybody know powerful performance systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trifid said:
As said the Ageia PhysX card is pointless until games support it. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2668&p=3

True. But, the first game that supports it will be available in MAY, the new Ghost Recon. Then many, many games will follow. Including anything with UNREAL ENGINE 3. Which will be over a hundred titles.

So get your PPU now if you can... You'll need it very soon.

HAVOC2k5 said:
True. But, the first game that supports it will be available in MAY, the new Ghost Recon. Then many, many games will follow. Including anything with UNREAL ENGINE 3. Which will be over a hundred titles.

So get your PPU now if you can... You'll need it very soon.

2 problems...
not released yet.
need this pc last week.

*edit*
3 problems.....
it needs a graphics card slot.....and we dont know yet how well it'll affect the performance compared to the dual cards.

ive been advised to opt for the 2pcs instead of the one, but i duno bout having the 2.....
i was just looking for one, especially right now.

WORK COMPUTER

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI (supports 4 SATA, and 4 SATA II)
AMD Opteron 180 Denmark Socket 939 Dual Core (stock cooling)
PNY Quadro FX3450 Video Card
2GB Corsair XMS (2 x 1GB) PC3200 DDR 400Mhz ECC Registered (if you insist 4, ok, but expect bandwidth to be cut)
Hitachi 4 x 500GB hardrives on RAID5 (you want safe backup...ex: hardrive failure during editing)
HARDWARE SATA RAID CARD (not onboard)
Any midtower by Lian-Li
NEC 16x DVD Burner
Sunbeam 12V Fan Controller
120mm fans if you have the space in the case. Then 92mm, then 80mm
Floppy 3.5" (Needed for SATA installation on Windows Setup..Press F6)

GAMING COMPUTER

MSI K8N Diamond Plus SLIx16 w/onboard Audigy ZS
AMD FX-60 (Stock or Custom Cooling)
2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS C2PL RAM PC3200 DDR 400Mhz(or go OCZ Performance)
1 eVGA 7900GTX CO (wait for DX 10 video cards to do SLi)
OCZ 650W Modstream
2x Western Digital SE 74GB Raptors 10,000RPM on RAID0
Western Digital SE 250GB 3.0/sec with 16MB Cache
Any midtower by Lian-Li
NEC 16x DVD Burner
Sunbeam 12V Fan Controller
120mm fans if you have the space in the case. Then 92mm, then 80mm
Floppy 3.5" (Needed for SATA installation on Windows Setup..Press F6)
*any other custom mods like laser cuts, cathods, custom cooling, etc.

*Get a nice USB KVM switchbox to switch between the computers on the fly (one keyboard and mouse), or get two keyboards and mice for LAN gaming.

--------------------------------------------------------
so i dunno....especially since ive gone off the idea of raptors now, and i wasnt wanting fans in the first place.....

I think the 2 PC's is a waste of money, the only advantage with that PC is the quaddro graphics card, which will save you a bit of time when adding textures to a 3d model, but I plan to be doing 3d work soon on a 7800gt and don't expect to see a problem.

that's exactly what ive been thinking.
the only reason id get a 2nd pc would be a year or so down the line.
and even then i MAY (5% chance) get a mac for work.
however, i more PC-friendly.
so even if i was, it'd be a while off and even then i could still do the same on the game machine.
atm, all im doing is photoshop, premiere, and flash.
and in all honesty, if it does have a major difference in quality, i can use my pc to log the shots and the mac at work to edit it all together.
but it really shudnt affect it.

but i was on the phone with gladiator computers.....lol
the dude said something about liquid nitrogen cooling....
-32*C, and an operating temp on the processor of 0*C....
meaning overclocking heaven........
but that'll be a long time off before i need to do that.....
or i may get bored some sunday morning at 3am......
lol

another thing about the 2pcs is that i may try and get one that i can replace the graphics card on, so i could use a pro editing card when im doing so, and the normal one for gaming when i do so.....
but even then that'd be a lot of hassle uninstalling and reinstalling and updating drivers.....

bleh.....down the line, new pro pc, and get that USB KVM switchbox.
but thats a way away down the line.

Liquid nitrogen isn't a long term thing just for the sunday afternoon of overclocking while you are bing sponsored to do so, so you can afford the required throwing away of all the components.

I don't know if this will work as I haven't tried it, but if you get a 7900gt or what ever for gaming, put it in PCIE slot 1 and instal the drivers on a hard drive. In the other PCIE slot have a Quaddro and install the drivers on a second drive.

the nitrogen aint long term....?
****, thats harsh.....cos i dont really wana open this baby up once i get her.
and as for the video cards, i was thinking into it, and wondering if it'd be possible to have 2 different setups installed and ready for use with one set installed under one user and the pro editing card installed as the other user.....
duno if it'd work or weather im just thinking too in depth over something thatll never happen.

Trifid said:
You are speccing out quite a PC, and will be unlikley to get one like this from a mainstream place like Dell, and as you probally already have found out Alienware overcharges too much.

Do you have a budget in mind?

I will then reccomend one of these (per drive) Silentmaxx from, but not necessary: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hard_Drive_Accessories.html

You will need a trade off, 4gb's of ram and slower game performance or 2gb's of ram and use quite a bit of page file...

CP-127-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4400CDBOX) (CP-127-AM)
£279.95 £279.95
MB-131-AS Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-131-AS)
£109.95 £109.95
MY-057-OC OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2 (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K) (MY-057-OC)
£139.95 £139.95
GX-028-GW Gainward BLISS Geforce 7900 GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-028-GW)
£204.95 £204.95
HD-049-SE Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 NCQ 500GB ST3500641AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-049-SE)
£199.95 £799.80
CD-075-SA Samsung SH-W162L 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer Lightscribe DVD ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-075-SA)
£25.95 £25.95
CA-039-AN Antec P180 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case - No PSU (Silver) (CA-039-AN)
£69.95 £69.95
CA-006-HP Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue (CA-006-HP)
£52.95 £52.95
Subtotal £1,683.45
VAT £294.61
Total £1,978.06

2. This PSU may not suitable for tower case that PSU bay is at bottom as P4 connector might be too short to reach the motherboard. Known incompatible tower: Antec P180.

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html

Does that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom