GeForce 6800 AGP -> PCI-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewgen1

Baseband Member
Hello all. IÂ’ve been meaning to upgrade my computer for a while but IÂ’ve been hitting a bit of a snag. When I upgrade I want to leave plenty of room for future expansion. My largest problem is this: I already have a GeForce 6800 GT w/ 256 Mbs of ram. I'd like to upgrade to PCI-e, particularly a SLI board (such as the Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe/Athalon 3800+). This way I can just plug one card in for now and get another when I have some extra cash. But I have to have my 6800 go to waste; after all I spent $400 on it. So I was wondering if there is a way I can get a SLI mobo and CPU without having to get a new video card. Is there any kind of adapter I could get to plug my AGP card into a PCI-e slot? If so what kind of performance anomalies could I expect with it? Obviously this would preclude the use of SLI until I get a new video card, but I can live with that. What I want most is just to get rid of the mobo I have now and its horrible bottleneck on my system.

I'm currently using the ASrock 939-Dual Sata2 and it's GREAT. Don't let the weenies that rip on the board scare you away, you just REALLY need to read up on it before you set it up, as some things do require some BIOS tweaking before the OS can be installed. =)

ok, well I admit thats a nice motherboard and the closest Ive come to a solution. But still the question remains: Does anyone make an adapter to plug an AGP video card into a PCI-e slot. Somehow I doubt the answer is going to be yes, since I have yet to find any information on such a potentially profitable creation.

Assuming, for a moment, that I do go with this solution, I should have around $233 left (My original budget for this upgrade was $300, low yes, but its all I can spare for the moment). Newegg offers 2 CPUs that come close to 230 dollars in price. They both are Athalon 64 3700+ San Diego cores with 2.2 GHz clock speeds and 1 Mb of L2 cache. So what, aside from the voltages and price, is the difference between these two procs?

Athalon 64 3700+

Athalon 64 3700+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom