Windows Explorer Closing, and Computer not recognizing files on external HD....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roaddoggjc

Solid State Member
The main problem is actually when I click on the icon for a video that I downloaded (that is NOT a wmv file), I get a message that says 'windows explorer has experienced a problem and must close'. Its very strange, and it has been happening ever since I got the computer..I figured it was something 'laced' into the avi file that I didnt have incorporated into my windows media player yet, maybe a codec thing??

Also, in what may be a related problem....I just bought an external a few weeks ago. After I keep it on for a while ( it varies from a half hour to 2 hours or so) the computer will randomly stop recognizing that there are files on the external. It recognizes the external itself, but when I go into a folder, it shows nothing. I then have to shut the external off and turn in back on in a minute or so. Then the actual files saved on the external magically appear.

I have a T43 Thinkpad, Windows XP w/ Service Pack 2

do you see a safely remove icon in the taskbar? if so, can you see the device? Did you format it first? can you see it is diskmgmt.msc?

For the first Issue, I would try a repair on the OS to be sure its not Windows fault right off the bat. I would then try to find a codec package.

as far as the :
After I keep it on for a while ( it varies from a half hour to 2 hours or so) the computer will randomly stop recognizing that there are files on the external.

When this happens, can you feel major heat coming from the External? I say "Major" heat b/c of course its going to produce heat normally... Does it feel like it may be over heating?

And like Warez said...

Are you connecting a High Speed USB device to an older system w/o USB 2.0 capabilities? When you initially plug the External in, does it give you a pop up balloon stating that you have plugged in a High Speed usb device to a non high speed port?

Warez Monster said:
do you see a safely remove icon in the taskbar? if so, can you see the device? Did you format it first? can you see it is diskmgmt.msc?

I do see a safely remove icon, and when I click it it has my external listed as USB Mass Storage E: , but as I go into the drive now, I can see file folders (categories I put the files in), but not the files themselves.

I just went into computer management, and the E drive is not listed for some reason.

bradybnmci said:
For the first Issue, I would try a repair on the OS to be sure its not Windows fault right off the bat. I would then try to find a codec package.

as far as the :

When this happens, can you feel major heat coming from the External? I say "Major" heat b/c of course its going to produce heat normally... Does it feel like it may be over heating?

And like Warez said...

Are you connecting a High Speed USB device to an older system w/o USB 2.0 capabilities? When you initially plug the External in, does it give you a pop up balloon stating that you have plugged in a High Speed usb device to a non high speed port?

How do I do a repair on the OS? Because I do have a feeling that it is Windows's fault. It seemed to have the problem when I first got it.

The external has a fan in the back, and I checked it just now and it is not overheating at all. Also, the external Supports High Speed USB2.0 USB1.1 and Firewire

Here are some more specs
* Interface: IDE to USB 2.0 and Firewire
* Supports: 3.5" ATA 133/100/66/33 Drives
* Max Capacity Supported: 400GB
* Dimensions: 190 x 125 x 45mm
* Weight: 240g
* Compatible OS:
- Window 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP
- Mac OS 8.6 & Above

Is there a way to repair the OS w/o deleting the whole hard drive?
I'm still having lots of trouble w/ these problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom