Can you help me diagnose a blue screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrymnvette

In Runtime
I got a Dell XPS 600 for my boss a couple of months ago. Well, it's blue sceened twice already and both times chkdsk found a ton of bad files, indexes. It repiared them and the computer worked for a while. I tried taking out the memory and booting, but it wouldn't boot without it installed. I haven't put different memory in there and tried it. Off the top of my head it's a P4, XP SP2, 1024 Ram, 500GB. Can't remember the rest off hand. I'll have to go back up there and look. I copied the Blue screen errors I just received. The 1st one is the one I got initially, then I rebooted and got the second twice before CHKDSK would run.

1st BLUE SCREEN

DRIVER_IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL <--Would make me think it's an IRQ problem

Tech Info:
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0X00000004, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XF7490559)

NVATABUS.SYS - Address F74790559 BASE AT F747F000

DATESTAMP 42ddda2d

2nd & 3rd Blue Screens

unmountable_boot-volume <--- Bad hard drive losing it's FAT????

STOP: 0X000000ED (0X86760E30, BXC0000006, 0X00000000)

I'm just trying here before I call Dell b/c I hate their Tech support most of the time. I'm thinking the hard drive is losing it's FAT table b/c of all the broken indexes I'm seeing in CHKDSK. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the help,
Andy

NVATABUS.SYS-->nvidia ide driver - uninstall nforce and reinstall it without the ide driver

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME - 2 possible reasons
1) your using a 40wire ide cable for your hard drive and need to switch to 80 , click here to find out if its 80wire or not , if its sata i guess that cant be it
2) the bios is configured to a higher UDMA mode then supported by the hard drive (a speed related settings) , get it checked its best to have it set on auto

Can't get it into safe mode. I'll go and reinstall the invidia driver w/o the ide driver, and check the other settings.

Thanks guys.

I am on the bad machine right now. It's a SATA setup and I can't seem to get into the BIOS for some reason. I just ran the hard drive diagnostics and it came back as Failed Return Code-7. Every time the comp boots it does checkdisk and deletes orphan file record segment 40100.

I'm unfortunately calling dell's gold support right now and am on hold. I'll let you know if they are able to help.

Yep, I did chkdsk /r once again and it's taking over an hour. Dell is sending me a new Hard Drive b/c he says when the diagnostics get the failure code 7 it's a failing hard drive most of the time.

it might not be too late to fix it. what's the name of the hard drive?

Backup your data too

Yeah, I tried to tell him about he UDMA settings and he wouldn't listen to me and insisted on sending a new hard drive. I went ahead and did it anyway, just to see if it'll stay up until I HAVE to send the hard drive back.

All data is backed up to my server nightly so I'm not to worried about it going down suddenly.

Thanks, for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom