Video is as if I'm downloading a huge jpeg on dialup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumone

Baseband Member
It scrolls like I'm downloading a jpeg on a dialup connection. The card is ATI Rage Mobility M1 hooked up to PCI. First off the card itself makes weid sounds on video-related operations & also leaks this sound onto the soundcard output. My system is an AMD64 with x64 Windows XP. I did not have this problem at ALL on my old 32-bit Athlon with normal Windows XP. I suspect drivers, but can drivers cause these problems?

For example, scrolling down causes CPU utilization to climb to 70-90% (and also takes a long time, as in 3 seconds for 1 click on the down-arrow on a scrollbar).

The only other OS I have on CD is Windows 2000 w/SP4. So I'm gonna try that out.

Is there a point of having a 64-bit processor if the OS is in 32-bit mode? I'm guessing the 64-bit extensions are something that must be enabled by the OS; if the OS doesn't enable them, there's really no point then, right? You can only address a 4gig virtual memory space.

A couple things I forgot to mention:

On POST, I get "PCI IRQ Routing Table Error [0:05:00]". This video card is the only expansion PCI device.

On installation of Windows 2000, I get a BSOD pertaining to my BIOS not being ACPI compliant. Says to disable ACPI features by pressing F7 on the text-based installation (when it asks if you need to install SCSI/RAID drivers). The installation works....

But the end result is win2k didn't install LAN (says no drivers) and video, it says the BIOS didn't send enough info to properly configure the device. I'm guessing it's related to the IRQ Routing Error. Oh yeah, and video is 640x480/16 colors :)

This
page says this error is as follows:
BIOS POST (DIM code) found a PCI device in the system but was unable to figure out how to route an IRQ to the device. Usually this error is caused by an incomplete description of the PCI Interrupt Routing of the system.

This whole bit of info may be the reason video seems crappy under Windows XP x64. So that would mean it's not a software but a hardware issue, as the aforementioned errors reveal. Could this be a 64-bit architecture conflict? My 32-bit mobo/processor never had a problem with this video card.

My current 'OS' at the moment is "Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows" :) Didn't get any errors running it, but video still seems crappy.

no its just software in my opinion. try and get a hold of a copy of windows xp pro, if you go the legal route get the acedemic upgrade version as its cheapest. there is plenty of point to using a 32 bit OS. athlon 64's were outperforming pentium 4's before ms released the newer 64 bit windows. seriously, avoid x64 windows like the plague. almost all of the forum members here just use 32 bit windows even though i would say the majority of us have 64 bit processors. there are just too many problems with x64 windows

How do you figure it's software? I mean with BIOS telling me PCI IRQ Routing Table error, win2k telling me my BIOS isn't ACPI compliant, and also that the BIOS didn't properly send enough info to configure the device...I can't see how that points to software? I've upgrade the BIOS, tried different PCI slots and they all yield the same result.

Reseating = making sure it's secure? I've tried every PCI slot. The thing is I don't have any other video card in order to test if the problem could be a bad card. You can't even install the drivers due to that "BIOS didn't supply enough info to properly configure the device" error.

I'm gonna try Debian out & see if I get the same, if any, problems. My hard drive was gonna be partitioned so that I had winxp 64, win2k, and linux (Debian), but since I currently can't do #1 & #2, I'll try #3.

I got Debian to install...video is a little better but still crappy nonetheless. Any more ideas?

I haven't given up!

I bought an AGP card off eBay and someone in my apartment building conveniently snatched it (as it was left outside the mailbox) :(

Does anyone know of any AMIBIOS setup-editing tools (other than amibcp and amimm...) I have loads of bios-programs that don't work (old/outdated/crashes/etc..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom