DDR2 worth the wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypherotu

Baseband Member
I have heard that currently the X2 line of athelon processors does not support DDR2 memory but will in the near future. I was wondering if this was something worth waiting for or is the gain from the newer version so small that only the most hardcore computer users would notice? Also, when will the processors support it in a stable version?

I currently use my comp for FPS games

i have ddr2 in my other comp. and it seems no different.. thats probably y amd didnt rush to get it compatable with there proc.

Probably the biggest reason AMD isn't supporting DDR right now is for the same reason they haven't jumped on the BTX bandwagon...they don't need to. DDR2 has superior clock speeds, but in general, the latency sucks unless you get the really nice, expensive sticks.

thats what was on the tip of my tongue.. i knew it was an L word.. but i couldnt think of it for the life of me.. (latency)

AM2 is going to have to performance gain, all there doing is supporting ddr2 memory which isnt a good enough performance increase to pay the extra money for the mobo/ddr2/and am2 cpu. If you have the money now build now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom