Something Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer565

Beta member
Ok i just bought a brand new pc and here are the specs

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice Core
ATI Radeon x850XT at 580/600
3 Fans-GPU Arctic Cooling Solution, CPU fan+heatsink, case fan and stock PSU fan
400 Watt PSU
160 gig HD
1 gig ram
ASUS motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Sound Card

Now I bought this whole setup from HP, and upgraded to the x850XT myself, with the idea in mind that i would be able to use this as a pretty good gaming setup.

My problem is that in most of my games i can run them great, including Battlefield 2, which i can run at 1208x1024 with max settings except dynamic shadows and light, which i put on medium. It runs great and im very happy with it. However when i put Call Of Duty 2 in and try running that at medium to high settings i get horrible framerates. I can run it with Direct X 7 at complete max settings and get over 200 frames if i dont limit it, but whenever i turn it on DX9 it gets all slow. Even if i turn dynamic lights, shadows, AA and AF off, and then turn the resolution down i still get less than 40 frames, and thats at 800x600. Also when i ran 3dmark06 i only got a score of 2857, and when i ran 3dmark05 i only got a rating of 6000. Now i have heard people with slower processors get a rating of 6000 on 3dmark06 with this card, and i'm pretty sure my system should be running faster. Any ideas on why this may be happening? Hardware, Software, Conigurations? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

i have catalyst 6.3 i believe

does COD2 just not like last gens ati cards? on multiplayer i can get much better framerates at high to medium settings

your confusing 3Dmark05 with 06... your scores are normal.

the problem with the game is probably just some conflict in windows.

It is after all a HP aka same company as Compaq(comcrap), wouldnt be saprizing if it spits out driver conflicts or whatnot when you add after market hardware.

just to rule out a conflict with the sound card, you can go into device manager and disable your Sound card or Sound controller, and run the game without sound and see what happens.

I suggest you to just play the game with Direct X 7 since it runs fine with that. Try re-installing the game, sometimes the installation can run into errors without you knowing it.

just a FYI for Stevo808 - Different directx version support different special affects...

so for example Directx 7 looks like Playstation 1 graphics, were as DX9 looks like Xbox360 graphics...

he will definatly not wont to play in DX7 mode. or i would not at least.

ok ill try those, keep posting with new ideas, and yea hp puts all sorts of crap on the computer when u first buy it, but unfortunatly they dont ship the windows disks so i cant reformat the drive with a fresh install of XP. I have a feeling that might help. Anyway, are u sure 6000 on 3dmark05 is normal with my system? i hope so im just checking though

FYI = for your information.
------------------

no im not exactly shur that 6000 is normal for your system, i never used an ATI card, but im guessing your probably near were you should be. some one with ATI experince could give you a rock solid answer, but im guessing your scores normal.

my A64 3700+, 1GB ram, 6800GS PCI-E all at stock speeds, score 5100 in 3Dmark05, and i know thats exactly were it should be for Nvidia... and i never ran 3Dmark06, but i hear 2300 is about normal for my system.

the other thing i can tell you is that 6100 is near stock score for a 7600GT.
--------------------------

See if you maybe able to see a problem with your DX installation, by going to /start/run, type (dxdiag) hit enter, go to /display tab, run both the DirctDraw and Direct3D tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom