Anybody know powerful performance systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
question 1- Will it cool the raptors?
question 2-Will it silence the raptors?

if yes, then yes.
ive been on purepwnage.com and they keep telling me loadsa confusing stuff that i cant get my head around....
seriously, laymans terms please.....
but if it works, then good.
and 1 per drive?
the only reason im going raptor is cos i was told id need to lose an SLI card if i went for the original 8x500gb....................but mebbe 4x500gb cud do.........
but the raptors are faster........
what to do?

It is yes to both of them, as it will decipitate the heat well, and silence them: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17552319&highlight=silentmaxx

Have a look through this: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2577&p=9

It is your decision in the end, I think that that 4TB is overkill on space unless you will have loads of un compressed movies, and then even if I had the money couldn't justify that much space.

The 500gb drives are more expensive and would still get very hot - compared to a smaller drive.

well, the only reason i had the 4 raptors is for the space.
i may go for the seagate barracuda 500gb instead.....
but at the end of the day i duno.
i have to run now to dublin, but ill b back monday 9-10am hopefully, with my final decision.....
i hope.....
in the meantime, if anyone could be as kind as to point me out some nice coolers, or any possible edits to the system spec, please copy, paste and edit my old spec in the post.
thanks a lot for the help folks.

L8rs

managed to get online for a few mins before i head to dublin.
so the Silentmaxx HD-Silencer Rev 2.0.....roight, this one instead of the other one?
still thinking about the hard drives......
i originally wanted 10000rpm hard drives, but these are only available on the raptors as far as i can see, and ive heard many bad things about raptors burning out quicker than normal....
so im very tempted to go for the 500gb hard drives and 'endure' the 7500rpm for a more reliable system.
also, the RAID 0 ive been told can be unstable at times, and if i lose one hard drive im totally screwed, whereas RAID 5 may not be as fast but it is more stable....
but ive also been told i need a RAID 'connector' or something which takes up a slot on the motherboard if i go into any large quantity of hard drive space....
but is that only if i go over the 4hard drives the motherboard can handle?

What about EVERCOOL EC-MC-OR Aluminium Golden Memory Heatsink for the ram?

hmmm.....
this sucketh the big one....
ive been informed that the HD 'enclosures' to cool em, can overheat, esp in small spaces- ie, the case ive chosen.....
so i may end up going for the water cooling and case i originally had in mind......but i dont like ethe idea of liquid in among something this expensive....
still looking into the cooling equipment and the actual pc build....
why couldnt it all be so much simpler? lol

I posted the link of the temperatures of the hard drive as I also found out about enclosures causing heat problems, but they said it was about 5*C cooler in one.

I wouldn't be worried about ram cooling, but if you have a window on your case the bare chips on ram are quite ugly.

RAID5 works with 3 hard drives and above and is very slow apparently. RAID1 should be as fast as RAID0 but with the security of the same data on both disk's.

well in the end (once i get the mac) i will be considering overclocking......maybe......
but she will be on nearly 24/7, and i dont want to run the risk of a slight overheat.
guna hafta go for a mid to full tower sized case, that way at least the HD's will be spaced out, and wont heat up as badly.
im guna look for something like heatpipes/heatsink to cool the HD's a bit, and ram cooling....well.....ive fried a stick of ram before (dont know how, but it was a dell, after i put it in, the ram worked fine, then the pc started crashing a lot a few days later, and when i tested the stick it was completely defunct apparently...):rolleyes:
and im not really too worried about the look of the inside of the case, and there should be window on the case cos im looking for some red neon on the inside
(why not? lol)
RAID1.....okies, il try and remember that.
still not too certain on the PC build atm....
it's looking ok-ish to me, but im still trying to make sure its all good.

got mon+tues off work, which is good cos saturday nite in dublin, wasnt as peaceful as id expected.....
was hoping a nite in a bar/club for an hr or 2, then to a hotel or b&b.
lol
firstly, the gf got id'd and she didnt bring any with her, so the clubs were out o the question.
pubs it was.
but come 4am, we were still on the street meeting up with the ones i work with, and straight to a house party....
no hope in **** of sleep......yet i did for an hour after 7/8am....
how, i duno....i just did......

but since ive been off work resting up, i aint had a chance to get in and order this yet, so hopefully tomorrow......i hope.....
some time this week anyway which should give me time to finalise the build.

Your PC's temeprature shouldn't change over the course of it being on - as long as the ambient temperature stays constant. It will how ever start to heat up when the thermal paste needs replacing. You really shouldn't be worried about overclocking, it isn't required just a little present the CPU gives you if it goes nicely. btw. mid tower is small only just big enough for the motherboard and PSU.

Enjoy your sleep.

well the room it'll be in is like a sauna in jamaica on a heat wave...
and thats with no heat on...
but its the fact ill have the pc on for AGES at once, and fans will be too noisy for me (soz, im picky)
but ill take a look for a full tower with a window so i can see the glimmery neon in action.... :p
but ive been told to go for an opteron 185.....but thats amd, and amd doesnt do ddr2.....and i cant remember saying no with ddr2 yet........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom