Front USB panel on Xaser III

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdivizion

Banned
hey guys,

i built this computer last month and i used the Xaser III Thermalltake case which has a front USB panel. last month, after the computer was working fine, i plugged a USB device in the front panel and the usual message popped up and tried to look for the drivers but couldn't find them. not on the CD's, didn't come with Windows XP and are not on the web. so it didn't install the drivers for it. now i thought i'd try again but when i plug something in, i don't get the PnP message.

what else can i try?

ok update....

i found the drivers and windows pops up a message that tells me the folowing:

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

i'm afraid i got a busted USB hub....

did this front USB panel have a USB block connector or were they individual pegs. if they were pegs maybe you connected the wires to the USB header on the motherboard wrong. there are 8 wires set1 and set2, they have to be in the correct order

they were pegs and i was pretty sure they were connected correctly but i'll check again. they're just too small to insert by hand!!! thanx.

subdivizion check your connections with my picture attachement "img_0005.jpg". notice where the missing pin is. one row is set1, the other row is set2.

you should notice on the pegs they have the numbers 1's and 2's on most of them. my picture is the very last post in this thread, download it:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12557

btw, don't connect the 9th shield pin to anything, just connect the 8 wires to the motherboard. i have no clue what that extra wire or that extra pin is for. the one i am talking about is hanging at the end by itself with the missing pin.

ok i'll try that. i think i connected nine of them. when i open up the case to install my second HDD, i'll check it out. thanx man.

the last pin near the keyed one is for the ground on the first usb header. also you never said which usb device you were trying to plug in.??

According to the manuals i got with my new boards, that 9th "unused" pin is an OVERCURRENT pin. Whatever that means.

I just put together a computer last night. The front usb panel had individual pegs, all labelled, which helped me a bit. The only thing that was weird was my front panel had 2 grounds. I installed the first 4 pins (One of those is a ground) and the other ground is just sitting unused. It didn't say OVERCURRENT on it.. so i didnt plug it in. I haven't tested out the pc yet... i'll update if need be.

I have actully put together 3 or 4 comptuers inside the Xaser III's here at work. and probly about 40 just in genral, the second usb header has a ground pin but there is no where to ground it apparently thats just how it works unless ive been doing something wrong for the last 5 months, but i doubt that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom