Artic Clean and AS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
Ok, just before I order some of this stuff for my CPU, I just want to clear up some stuff.

1. Is this:

'Arctic Silver ACN-60ML, Arctic Clean 1 & 2, 60ml Kit'

...alright to use to clean off the existing thermal pad on the stock heatsink of an AMD x2 4400+ CPU?

2. Is this:

'Arctic Silver AS5-3.5G, Arctic 5, Polysynthetic Thermal Compound, 3.5 grams'

...alright to use to attach a stock AMD heatsink to an AMD x2 4400+ CPU?

3. Finally, to install the paste, a rice grain, or a rice grain and a half size piece of thermal paste should be put in the middle of the CPU, then the heatsink should just be bolted down to gradually spread the paste out during normal use, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Correct..
Both of those should work on any cpu (dont know about MAC cpus..)

And im not sure about how to spread the Paste.... it should tell u how on the instucions

I also think that the cleaner is really not worth it.. just get some high purity alchol and call it a day :D

Meh, I really can't be stuffed to look for any. I'm just gonna order this Artic Clean and AS5 online. I can't get it from newegg.com, seeing as I'm in New Zealand.

Thanks for your help though, alexabree.

Go to Arctic Silver site for instructions on how to use AS5.

And you should be able to find rubbing alchohol at any store...don't worry about the purity of it.....lower purity just means it may take a little longer to get the thermal pad stuff off.

no lower purity will leave oil on the cpu( or so ive been told a couple times)

Ok. Listen. Here's the deal. A ton of people "Claim" that arcticlean isn't worth the what 8 dollars you pay for it. Well, allow me to clear this up.

It "IS" worth the 8 dollars, "IF" you are going to be cleaning CPU's frequently. Like me. I use it a lot on PC's that I service. If i'm doing a full interior dust/cleaning job, i'll remove a clients CPU, remove the old crap and reapply AS5. Regardless if they are OCin' or not. AS5 is the best stuff there is. So for frequent use. It's the best there is. It takes about 10X less time to remove TIMs with arcticclean then alcohol. I like saving time.

Applying AS5 isn't as tough has people make it seem. I don't follow the grain sized rule. I use a large pea size amount. Then I use an old Credit card and slowly spread the AS5 around. Then like a mason, I continue to spread the AS5 so thin it's almost like a "FILM" over the top of the CPU DIE. I like the whole die covered. Sure you're wasting some AS5, but it's only 6 dollars a tube. I've had a tube for almost 7 months thta i've use about 10 times...

Lol, he talks about how he likes to save time by using the Arcticlean and then goes on to explain how he takes the time to spread the AS5 around with a credit card untill its a thin "FILM". You would save time and resources by just following the instructions on Arctic Silvers web site.

his way is better than the way the website says 2 do it...cause you cover the whole cpu ... not just a blob in the middle spred half way around...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom