first build in 3 years.. concerns, help =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

es223

Beta member
3 years since my last build. have a few concerns
heres the parts:

ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4200BVBOX
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
G.SKILL Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory
SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink

mobo link link to case

I understand that I'm implementing alot of new technology in this build. I have concerns and questions stemming from my last experience. Please excuse my lack of correct vocabulary.. I'll describe what I mean as best I can.

-The small connections from the case to the bottom right corner of the motherboard concern me. I know they are incorrect on my computer now and I want to know is there any way of getting these correct for sure?

-Is setting up SLI graphics cards any different from just a plug and play AGP card? Is it beyond just a connection to the motherboard & installing drivers?

-I notice most of you reccomend RAID hard drive systems. I cheaped out and only bought one Hard Drive, am I missing out on any power?

-I have a concern about my PSU and Mobo. Apparently my powersupply is stored in the bottom of the case instead of the top. The 4 pin connector to the motherboard is at the top of the motherboard. Will the wire from the bottom of the case/psu be able to reach the top of the motherboard, assuming my large graphics cards are in the way.

-I'm still confused is this card i've ordered
ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card is this one or two video cards, do i need two or one to run SLI i only bought 1 and funds are nowhere in sight for another.

-I also dont have any arctic silver, will the stock stuff be ok with my cpu cooler? I forgot to order any..

thanks

on those connections just read your motherboard manual and mess around with them you will eventually get them right

i believe (ive never had a sli mobo) that there is a switch that sets it to one or two graphics cards

one hard drive is fine im running one hard drive its not that much of a diffrence i

f your not going to be OC the stock stuff on the cpu cooler is fine you can even OC with that stuff too but if you really want to get alll you can out of your cpu i suggest artic silver 5

Artic silver is an add-onn option (U WILL NEED IT IF U OVERCLOCK)

Dont get SLI, u pay twice as much and even more for sli mobo, cooling, powersupply and the frames persecond dont increase.... just AA + AF
Which makes things in games seem smoother

Unless ur real rich SLI is a total waste

lol... do u c the other post above this, they totaly critisize SLI

EDIT:
I think that the fps dont increase and the performance increase is not worth the money........ so if u think mathmatically u are paying 100% more money for a 50% increase

i dont need any help choosing hardware, just with the questions i asked, thanks.

As far as connecting SLI, you put the two cards in the two PCIe slots, use the bridge that came with your mobo (I have same mobo) and activate SLI in your driver panel.

If you haven't bought the memory yet I would highly recommend the Corsair memory that ASUS built this mobo to be matched with. Thye are taller than normal RAM but I'm glad I did. So beware some coolers will not fit. But **** will that board run nice with it. The RAM will run nativley at 2-3-2-6 without ever having to touch the BIOS.

The cost basis on RAID for what you get in return is too high IMHO. The main reason I didn't go with the RAID. I really wanted to go with RAID 0+1 but buying 4 74GB Raptors was just too much money.

short and sweet YOU+SLI=EMPTY POCKET+DISSAPOINTMENT. if you would be interested in overclocking then the 4200+ is a waste of money and you would be better off with either an athlon x2 3800+, athlon x2 4400+ or an opteron 165. even someone new to overclocking could probably overclock past the 2.2ghz 4200+ with a 3800+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom