Serial ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax

Daemon Poster
What is 'Serial ATA'?

Someone told me that it was just another name for SATA, but I don't know. I'm about to order my new hard drive, but I don't know if this Western Digital 320GB Serial ATA drive is compatible with my DFI Lanparty UT-D nF4 motherboard.

Can someone clear this up?

Argh, wait. I've got another problem with this hard drive. It says that it's a 7,200rpm 8mb buffer drive. Is a 16mb buffer better? If it is, I can't find a drive that is a 16mb buffer but is SATA. Only SATA2 ones have 16mb buffers, and I don't think my motherboard supports SATA2.

cyrax said:
Argh, wait. I've got another problem with this hard drive. It says that it's a 7,200rpm 8mb buffer drive. Is a 16mb buffer better? If it is, I can't find a drive that is a 16mb buffer but is SATA. Only SATA2 ones have 16mb buffers, and I don't think my motherboard supports SATA2.

SATA2 aka SATA 3.0Gb/s is backward compatible with SATA150. I just installed 2 SATA 3.0Gb/s on my motherboard that only had 2 SATA150 ports and they worked fine. Just you have to set a jumper on the back of the hard drive to operate as SATA150 which the jumper is clearly marked on the top label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom