Windows only boots with windows xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccm0030

Baseband Member
My computer will only start if i boot from disk. I boot from disk then go to the "windows setup" screen then after i try to reformat it, which won't work, and reinstall XP. I restart the computer than windows boots up using the disk. If i shut it down the same thing happens again. The somputer has a 40gb hdd and a 14gb hdd with the xp on the 14gb hdd. The computer has 2 disk drvies. One is a DVD-ROM the other is a CD-RW. The windows xp cd will only boot up using the CD-RW drive.

any suggestions?

thanks

Is there a possibility that you have your Bios set so that ALL the options are set to boot frm CD?

Usually, you go into Bios and set the boot priority to CD if your loading a new operating stsyem. And your hard drive would be 2nd on the list.

Install the OS and then go back into bios and set the boot priority back to hard drive as 1st and CD as second priority.

Is it possible that ALL the options are configured to boot from CD?

when i boot from disk i set all the boot sequences to cdrom then when i try to reformat and reinstall with windows half way through installation it says setup could not complete unbable to do ssomething it says it could be from a loose wire or a corrupted harddrive then when i boot from the hard driv it says NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt dlt to restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom