AM2 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
Well i've heard alot of ppl say that AM2 isnt that much performance increase from s939 because of DDR2 RAM. I'm probably goin to get an AM2 but not till next jan. or feb. when price is cheaper and the bugs should be gone. Well my question is will the AM2 be like intels Socket 775 where it can have DDR and DDR2 slots or will all the boards be DDR2?

I agree... it will likely support both the DDR and DRR2 platforms, however, it would VERY unlikely that any boards would have slots for BOTH on them...

hmmm :/ interesting question. i also agree that there is definitely no chance of there being motherboards with both. but i'm not so sure AMD would leave support for DDR. i think that they may just channel all their efforts into optimising the controller for DDR2 which may require them leaving out DDR support and if thats the case they will most likely do it

lets hope they make the slots support both DDR and DDR2 if thats possible so you wont need DDR slots and DDR2 slots on the board leaving no room available.

Ok thanks, i'm probably goin to get the AM2 near the end of this year or beginnin of next year and use the DDR ram i have now if its possible.

based on what i see now, no way im getting amd. conroe seems like a huge increase in perf over amd. but who knows. that might change in a couple of months

Yea but do u think AMD is just goin to sit around and do nothin about the conroe, i mean its AMD we're talkin about, they'll come out with a bigger, better CPU. Intels switchin to AMDs idea because they finally realized that AMD has been on the right course for years and games are startin to demand more power. I've been with Intel all my life because (like most people) i always thought higher clock speed was better and AMDs just..... sucked..... then i found out hte true power of AMDs. I dont think AMD fanboys should switch to the conroe (if they are goin to), they should at least wait cause AMD is goin to make a move (and it'd be pretty ****in stupid if they didnt) and my guess... AMDs solution to the Conroe problem will absolutely blow the conroe away (just like AMDs CPUs now compared to Intels CPUs now). in my opinion, AMDs the hardworkin middle class person while Intels the upper class person that pays to for their work to be done and because of that, i give my money to AMD

just statin my opinion

Yeah, there are Intel boards that actually have 2 slots for DDR and 2 slots for DDR2. It has/can be done. I say it's marginally likely. You just have to choose the right board.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom