Socket 754

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
What is the best processor that I can buy for a socket 754 motherboard?

My friend bought a mobo with that socket type and he doesn't want it; I would like to have another computer for linux and such, so would it be even be worth it?

Well basically I just want another computer to play multiplayer with friends. I plan on putting my old 6600 in it when I get my 7900GTX, and I am going to dual boot with windows and linux. It is not going to have to run any powerful games: maybe just Battlefield 1942, and Vietnam.

For games on that thing id say the 3700+ is the best but for everything a umm 3200+(?) Sempron is the best because YES they do have all the instruction sets. You can OC them really good w/ a stable MSI board w/ an nF3 chipset and all. BTW i dont think they have PCI-E for s754. If im mistaken im sorry lol. If i can play BF2, Oblivion, and Hl2 Lost Coast max settings on a Socekt A w/ a 9800XT (LAN Machine which is sold) then that machine will own. Just make sure it has a decent amount of ram.

There ARE socket 754 PCI-E boards, they're just not easy to come by...at the moment, I can't find any on Newegg, however.

I too say go with the Semprons. If you plan to run Linux on this machine as you say, you can stick a nice 64-bit distro on it and it'll run nicely (I say this from experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom