Wondering about compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jez-

Solid State Member
Hello, this would be my first post on this forum, although i have enjoyed reading up on a few things here for a couple of weeks now. I have decided (with a little inspiration from this wonderful place) to start building a computer for my friend, who is going to pay me for it. Anyway I was wondering if my things were compatable and hoping it would all work, took me a while to get to a comfortable price.

I was hoping if someone could tell me if

this

and

this

would work together, what throws me off is the hyperthreading thing, the motherboard says it but the processor does not, and it is my understanding that hyperthreading is the ability to run several things with ease (correct me if i'm wrong)

Any kind of reply would be appreciated , thanks in advance.

Motherboard :
ABIT 848P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IS7-V" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Processors(Hyper-Threading)
Chipset: Intel 848P + ICH5
FSB: 800/533MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 2GB
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X(0.8V/1.5V), 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,1xLPT,1xCOM,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),SPDIF In/Out,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: 6-Channel AC97 Codec
Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Onboard SATA: 2x Serial ATA 150

Processor:
Intel Celeron (Pentium 4 based) 2.6 GHz 400MHz FSB, 128K Cache - Retail
Specification
Model: Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.6GHz
FSB: 400MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/128K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)

Well i have had some bad experiencise. I had a celeron ounce about 2.8 GHz and my friend had a 2 GHz pentium 4 proccesor and he kicked my ass speed wise. He was still faster Mabe it was becuase he had tonz of cache but his pentium preformed way better.

i think my processor is pentium 4 is it not?

I'm confused, it says pentium 4 based, does that mean its compatable with that botherboard for pentium 4's?

i dunno if its compatible with P4 boards...but i dunno bout celeron ...my friend had it n he says that its not the best

Yes it should work but in my opinion celerons would not be my choice i would reccomend you spend about 150$ on a real pentium quality proccesor.link

Oh...(damn)

Well think you can throw me suggestions.

Looking for a decent motherboard/processor combo that 100% compatable , decent speed, and combined under 175$, or close to it. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom