Dell PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke87

In Runtime
I was randomly searching the internet and found several forums saying that DEll NO Longer uses proprietary PSU. They stated that it actually stopped back a couple years. Rather any atx psu will work in a newer dell. Can anyone else confirm this or is this just a myth.

i doubt its true as it was never published in any news sites and i dont think it was offically announced either , anyway i guess you have a dell , to find out if you got a propitary or not have a look at this page (look under Table 21.7 , pin layout)
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339053

slick_tech15 said:
Yeah you can put any kind of PSU in a dell
even if they really no longer use proprietary psus , it doesnt mean you can use a standard psu in every dell pc , some but not all

I replaced the power supply in a Dimension 8200 a few years ago, and it was standard ATX, so this might be true.

I did replace my Dell PSU with an Antec 500W and ran into a couple problems, however i did get it in:

1. Dell DOES use ATX PSU, but it doesnt have an on/off switch, so you have to get screw spacers to push the new power supply back a little so that the pressure against the case wont turn off the switch.

2. Dell's ATX PSU's are a little shorter in length than my replacement. There is also a piece of bent metal than kind of "springs" the psu into place when you put it in. That was an issue for the longer PSU, so i had to kinda re-bend it to where it stayed down and didnt push on the new psu.

3. The case with the new PSU can get pretty darn tight. My case right now has 3 HDDs, 2 gb memory, x800xl, and 2 pci cards and it's a freaking oven lol...better to get a new mobo/case if youre in it for the long haul or have alot of stuff making your case hot (i'm going to get a pci fan or a third party GPU fan to see if i can cool things down

So overall, YES it can be done, NO it's not a pop-in pop-out operation :)

PS: My Dell 8400 mobo used a standard 24-pin connection with the 12v connection for the P4 processor

I gave my friend the Xion psu that came with my xion II. It fit perfectly in his dell dimension (something rather) and it actually made the computer half way decent. :D Those dell psu arent meant for 2 hdds, and 2 dvd burners and other components. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom