Overclocking, Raising the voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Does raising the voltage (JUST THE VOLTAGE, not the fsb/htt or timings) raise the clock speed of the processor on its own? I have an engineering teacher who says he overclocked his processer (Stock Pentium 4 3.2Ghz) past 6Ghz by raising the vcore to 6.8V!! He said it immediately got hot so he cooled it down with his japanese water cooling system, he says when its not overclocked the cooling system keeps his processor at a chilly 12C. O_O Wow.

Anyways the reason I ask is because I'm going to show him this exact thread and I just wanted you guys to input on this. When I tried to explain to him what overclocking is he said I was "OVERCLOCKING THE SYSTEM" not the "PROCESSOR" and the only way I can overclock the processor ALONE is by upping ONLY the vcore. Am I retarded or right? I always understood overclocking was a mix of setting up memory dividers, adjust vdimm's, adjusting vcore's, adjusting FSB/HTT, adjusting voltage to the chipset, etc... He said its just simply adding more voltage to the processor. I said that just makes the processor hotter and doesn't do anything at all. he disagrees, can someone prove EITHER of us wrong? :)

Oh yeah, he said he also did all this miracle overclocking without setting up a memory divider, thats right boys, 6.2GHZ with a 1:1 ratio. :rolleyes:

Anyways keep the thread clean so I can show him in class tommorow.

Raising the Vcore and Vdimm does NOT automatically raise the clock speeds. You have to do that separately. (unless he has a very weird motherboard/BIOS).

You are right, he is wrong.

It is impossible to pump that much Vcore into a processor die with out it basically melting. He would need serious, and I mean VERY serious cooling to even attempt to raise the Vcore that high. But, you would have to raise FSB in order to raise the clock speed of a processor. Hmm, my motherboards bios supports 500FSB max (maxs at 280 though, but the numbers go to 500). Anyways even if his FSB was 500 his multiplier would have to be 12.4. But anyways i'm not sure about that, because intel and AMD are different with that kinda thing....

this guy is so full of BS its unbelievable. you can not raise vcore that high and water cooling will only keep a processor at roughly ambient room temps. so unless it was a nice cold day he wouldn't have it at 12 degrees on water cooling. i find it hard to believe that he could possibly hit DDR775 which would be the lowest memory speed he could run on a 1:1 divider using the stock multiplier of 16x, this is of course assuming it was using DDR i don't quite understand the relationship of overclocking with DDR2

nitestick said:
this guy is so full of BS its unbelievable. you can not raise vcore that high and water cooling will only keep a processor at roughly ambient room temps. so unless it was a nice cold day he wouldn't have it at 12 degrees on water cooling. i find it hard to believe that he could possibly hit DDR775 which would be the lowest memory speed he could run on a 1:1 divider using the stock multiplier of 16x, this is of course assuming it was using DDR i don't quite understand the relationship of overclocking with DDR2

hahahaha... seriously...

lol alright guys, thanks for all the responses. I showed him all the responses to this thread and he said "yes thats overclocking the system, I meant overclocking the processor itself."

"but how do you overclock JUST a processor without the system? you have to overclock everything else to run at the same cycles"

"no, Im talking just a CPU and a cpu die"

"what?"

"yeah if you run just more voltage through it the internet circuitry actually processes more"

Now I can't validate that statement because i've never tested it out nor do I ever plan on. I don't know where he got that statement either I guess its just theoretical but I have no clue why anyone would say that to begin with.

I want CPU-Z validation with his voltages, and a damned screen shot. I hate ****ing know it all teachers.... and your sig messes with my cursor....

He's pulling your leg so hard i am surprised you still have it.

after your second statement this applies even more. increasing voltage does not overclock a processor. it will only increase its temperature and the likelihood of it failing. increasing voltage is part of overclocking but is only used to stabilise the processor once the FSB or clock frequency (via multiplier) has been pushed higher. basically more "force" (not the correct term but it will do) is required for the processor to run at a higher frequency

I don't have much experience with Intel processors, but I do know that when you overclock AMD processors, you up the FSB or the CPU multiplier. This is what gives you the CPU frequency. Period. The multiplier x FSB = CPU frequency. When you up the FSB, you're also speeding up other things as well, such as RAM or the HT frequency. This is why you also have to set up a divider for the RAM sometimes, or lower the HT multiplier. The voltage increase to the processor just simply help it to be stable at the frequency for which you have it set at. If Intel is ANYTHING like AMD when it comes to overclocking, then increasing just the voltage isn't going to do anything.

CPU multiplier x FSB = CPU frequency

Change in voltage simply changes stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom