computer wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy345

In Runtime
I have a computer that i just built and it wont power on.

I have:
This Case
This CPU
2 of these ram's
this cd-rw
this motherboard
this powersupply

Everything is connected correctly. The power supply is connected to the motherboard. The power button and everything else is connected in the right place. Everything works i tested the ram, cpu, and power supply in a different computer and they worked. I tried powering on the computer with only the cpu and ram connected and nothing happens. Nothing at all happens when i press the power button. Can anyone help me to try to figure out what is wrong.

It could be:

#1 - Case leads for power, reset, HDD activity light aren't hooked up right... Triple check that they are correct (I know you already said you did, but it wouldn't hurt).
Bad power supply
Bad motherboard
Motherboard not mounted correctly, grounded through the PC chassis.

Try using a different PSU on the computer, and if the other PSU works, you have isolated the issue to a bad PSU.

How come you went with DDR 266 RAM rather than DDR 400 RAM?

I just got the cheapest 256mb one their was on newegg. I already know the power supply is not the problem. I tryed the power supply in a different computer and it worked. And i tryted the powersupply from the other computer in my computer and both didnt work. I check the motherboard manual and made sure the leds and switches were in right and they are.

The motherboard is brand new i dont think it is the problem.

How could the motherboard not be mounted correctly?

The motherboard should have come with brass standoffs that you screw into the chassis.... These are about 1/8 inch long. You then set the motherboard on those standoffs to prevent the motherboard from being grounded out on the chassis.. which is NOT a good thing.

It didn't come with anything like that.

Tommarow i will try taking the motherboard out and see if it works out of the case. But how do I power it on?

If you didn't recieve the stand offs, how did you install the motherboard? Or was it already installed in the case when you got it?

I do have brass standoffs i just didnt notice them till now. They came with my motherboard. Ill try using them and reinstalling my motherboard again now.

I took the motherboard out of the case and put it on its box and took the powersupply out and put it on its box and moved the case close to the motherboard and plugged the power switch in and i got the cpu fan and psu fan to go but nothing else happened

but my cpu fan powers up and everything everything seems to be workign except the monitor says no cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom