advice on new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck123

Beta member
hey guys,

im thinking of upgrading my old system and would like some advice on my possible choices.

cpu; 3800+ athalon 64x2
mobo; Asus A8n-SLI premium nForce 4
hdd; Wd 740gd Raptor, 74GB 10,000rpm as a systems hdd
and Wd 2000js 200gb 7200rpm as a storage drive
videocard; gainward BP 7900GTX -512
case and psu; Antec TX1050b with a 500w smartpower 2psu

they are the basics i have been concidering, but there are some things i am unsure of;

ram; what speed and how much would i need to work with the proposed system.

cpu; is the 3800+x2 worth the extra money for the dualcore or would a faster clocked singlecore 64 a better alternative (computer primarily used for gaming).

also the graphics card i am unsure of,it is expensive and i was wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives which will offer similar performance

thanks heaps, any feedback would be much appreciated ;)

try not to use a power supply comes with a case. get and Antec TruePower II. get a DFI Lanparty UT SLi-DR as your mobo. and for a video card get a 7900 GT, its still good and can run anything on max settings. 7900 GTX is for people who can afford it. the x2 3800+ is definitely worth it, the only reason why intel had an upper hand on AMD was because they could do apps better, and like image editing, but now because of the Dual cores, AMD rox it. stick with dual core.

As for Ram, if your not going to overclock, get an OCZ value ram, if you are, either get an OCZ gold edition, or G.SKill, or Corsair, or Crucial. its all good.

If its mainly for gaming i think it would be goodx1. Dual wouldn't really be used unless you were multitasking.

Ram 2GB minimum as alot of the new games are using a GB and over.

Graphics card i am not sure on...i have been out of the loop for awhile.

thanks heaps for the quick reply, much appreciated.

would 1gb of ram be sufficient or is it worth the extra money to bump it up to 2gb.

as for the videocard, do u suggest nvidia, or are there any decent ati alternatives

thanks again, truck.

Well as far as chipsets are concerned you are stuck pretty much with ati or nvidia..boils down to what you like i suppose.

1GB will do but you may not get full performance on some of the newest games. They will play good but may take some xtra time loading.

You can always grab another stick if you find your maxing out your 1GB :)

thanks for the help guys, as much feedback on the system in general would be much appreciated, i havent needed to upgrade in so long and have completely fallen outof the loop

ok, taken some of ure suggestions into concideration and i have done a quick revision;

case; Aopen h600b
psu; Antec tp-II 480W Truepower psu
memory; ocz 2gb pc4000 gx xtc dual channel kit
hdd; 73gb 10,000 rpm wd raptor - system drive
200gb wd 7200 rpm storeage drive
cpu; AMD ATHLON 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
mobo;Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4
videocard; Asus EN7900GT-2DHT-256 Geforce 7900GT,
256MB

how do these revisions look?
thanks, truck.

Status