No Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtrucker700

Solid State Member
I have a e-machine 3200 AMD 64 Athlon I tried to put a new power supply in but it never booted up. My old power supply was all right so I tried putting it back and now it won't power up either. While fooling with it I tried slowly putting the main power connection on and the fans would start up but as soon as I push the connector all the way on I get nothing any Ideas.

Was your computer off and unpluged form the wall wile you disconnected the Powersuplly and installed the new one? If not you might have damaged something.

Leave your old power supply in the comp for now, unplug it form the wall and reset the CMOS. there is a battery on your motherboard, looks like a watch battery. there are 2 ways to reset the CMOS.

1) theres sometimes a jumper near the Battery, 3 pins and the jumper is always on 2 of the pins. to reset it, take out the jumper and put on the the opostie pins, example - default shorting out pins "1,2". switch it to pins "2,3".... leave it there for about 10seconds and then put it back on pins 1,2... then plug your comp back in and see if it powers up.

2) if theres not jumper next to the batt, remove the battery for about 10seconds, and then put it back in. and then plug the comp back into the wall and try powering up.
--------------------------------

you may also wont to make shur you didnt just not comething loose? like maybe you accidently unpluged the power button from your motherboard?

I did the Battery thing first then the Jumpers still no power. It acts as though it's not getting any power out of PSU. I ran a check with the meter and all the power cords are showing 5.7 V

how are you testing the PSU? did you power it on out side of the computer? to do so you need to short together the Green wire and a Black wire on the Main ATX port. and then you need to use a reliable multimeter/voltmeter.

take a look here for the wires voltages and collors/etc... http://www.rosewill.com/faq/view.aspx?FaqId=53

I disconnected everything and powered up the PSU with the green and black wire jumped and the fan ran and did not shut down. So do you think it may be the motherboard

when a new psu doesnt powerup , its always the motherboard (well unless you got the psu DOA but thats rare,and obviously not the case on this one)

Thanks for all your help, I'll have to work on this later on in the week when I have time. I have another 64 that works fine and I'll have to just check and see what I can do about the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom