Floppy Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub1971

Baseband Member
This is probably a stupid question, but are floppy drives really needed? Will a PC boot and run properly without one? I haven't used mine since god knows when. I'm building a new PC soon and if I don't need one, I won't put one in. I'm assuming we don't need one, and we just tell the pc not to look for one in the boot sequence in bios?

Cheers
Cub

If you have a VIA chipset you may need a floppy drive to install sata drivers. It is also needed for flashing the BIOS if you don't have software to do it in windows/prefere to do it in DOS.

Hmm, I will be using an Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, I dont think that has VIA chipset, but nforce4?

Thanks guys, I hate floppys, and cant find a silver one to match my case anyway lol.

I have the standard SLI and haven't put a floppy in yet, it has a utility to flash the BIO in windows.

As everyone else has said, there's really no need for one, but I always keep a spare around because there are always those people who only accept stuff on a floppy...

(It's also helpful if you have another computer with ONLY a floppy drive, like me, so that you can easily transfer data from computer to computer...)

it doesnt hurt to have one, just in case, you never know when u might need one. plus theyre cheap as **** right now total $11 shipped at newegg

If I can find a silver floppy drive that goes with my case (black or beige would look ****y, then i'll get one. I guess I could always spray paint the floppy face metalic silver? LOL I don't buy online, but there's hundreds of computer stores in my city. I'll look around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom