Solid State Member
i custom assembled my computer and the specs are:
pentium 4 2.2 ghz
windows xp home edition
768 mb DDR ram
76 gb hd
radeon 9600 pro (128 mb i think)
and a cable connetion, with no network

recently ive gotten a 17 inch mag lcd flatscreen. plus i just reinstalled my whole computer because it was messed up with viruses, and things.

the graphics are different now its hard to say but i think they were better on my old 13 inch traditional monitor that was like 5 years old. things seem alot crispier now the lcd is nice, but the radeon doesnt seem to be giving 100%, it looks like some crappy geforce in some games, when it used to look like a picture. In any case the framerate is really terrible, its incredibly choppy and all the games ive tried are unplayable. ( counterstrike-source and dod source)
one reason for this i think might be because i download a directx9.0c from a third party site, first and used that i dont know about the provider, but ive downloaded the offical one from microsoft.com since than and i assume this version overwrote the last.

So im thinking it has to be some uncompatability or something with the monitor, but i have no idea what to do. ive been messing with framerate, anti-aliasing, in both my catalyst control center and the games but i get no good results.

please help, thanks

I hear the New High End LCD's, probably something like 700:1 contrast and 8ms response time, is pritty comperable to Standard CRT's graphic wise.

But that is just the Natural charecturistics of LCD's... They make Text appear Sharper, but graphics may look more jaggid without anti-aliasing enabled. The imperfections in Graphic programs show up more on LCD because the pixels are closer together.

Also... you will notice a Graphic color difference if you run your aplications in 16bit color instead of 32bit on a LCD, but you wont on a CRT. go to your Display settings and check and see witch color depth your Desktop is set at.. and also in game settings.

conserning your FPS game performance... Maybe you forgot to install your Motherboard Chipset Drivers? no?

EDIT: o yea, a monitor cannot affect game performance. and your 13" old monitor looks better graphic wise, becuase its CRT, and the smaller the screen the clearer images may apear because theres less pixels so the image isnt expanded as much for you to see imperfections.

well i did wat u said i tried anti-aliasing and its on 16 bit, i installed the chipset for the mobo
its still terrible, really terrible. i cant see how it would be anything but the monitor. frick

maybe i miss worded that... 16 bit will show worse image quality on LCD.. 32bit will show better image quality.

If your getting bad performance and bad image quality, it must be a Driver issue from when you reinstalled stuff after the clean re-format.

you could even test it with the old monitor... just hook the old on back up and see what happens.

EDIT: the monitor is just a display interface, it doesnt affect how the system runs. but test it with your old monitor just for fun.

EDIT2: forgot.... no having a different resolution on the Desktop then ingames doesnt affect it.... the resolution changes anyway once you enter the game it defaults to Fullscreen mode.

okay i just hooked up the old 13" and tried the games, they were a little choppy but nothing compared to the lcd... wat does that mean

I think what may be causing your problems might be "screen tearing" on the LCD... LCD's run at a lower rate then CRT's (some do at least - most cheap LCD's definatly do)

If you enable FPS in game, then compare FPS read out on the CRT and the LCD, i bet they will be the same. Its just the carecteristics of your particular LCD might have Low response time.

If FPS read out is the same, try enabling 'Vsync' in your games advanced display settings on the LCD. see what happens.

EDIT: if you dont now how to enable FPS for example in CSS, just google for "show FPS in ________ <-game" its typically just a command such as (cl_showfps 1) or (com_drawfps) or whatnot, that needs to be input into console.

what kind of frame rates are you talking about? because one of my computers is a:
P4 2.4 ghz
1.5 gig DDR ram
80 gig hard drive
ATi 9600 Pro - just changed to a Ge-force 5500 because i ruined the ATi due to overclocking problems

and i average only about 30-40 fps at the best.. down to 20 and below during firefights.. so i think its your rig thats causing you to lag because face it, its not that great of a computer.. you may just be noticing things you didnt notice before because it is magnified on the 17' monitor

derrdic3 said:
i average only about 30-40 fps at the best.. down to 20 and below during firefights.. so i think its your rig thats causing you to lag because face it, its not that great of a computer.. you may just be noticing things you didnt notice before because it is magnified on the 17' monitor

His FPS of course will not be great, but this is what i assume he's experinecing....

he probably experiences the same FPS as he did on his old monitor.... but i know a lot of FPS players may use high sensitivty on ther mouse when gaming so they can turn quickly... this was not an issue on his old CRT.... but the LCD he got is probably budget with average to low Response time... so it just cant keep up with the FPS during fast mouse movements. and either 'Tears the screen' or 'looks like it pauses' for a fraction of a sec.

If he enables 'Vsync' that may help or maybe fix the problem. However, enabling Vsync itself might also put a strain on the system causing lower FPS, hel just need to enable it and find out how it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom