Weird acitivty after RAM update

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisseZ

Solid State Member
Okay so now here is the deal. I just upgraded my memory capacity from 1gb -> 2gb it consists of 4 exact same type of memory modules, KVR400X64C3A/512. After doing so I had to force my memory bus to 400Mhz for the upgrade automatically lowerd it to 333Mhz. After this procedure I ran memtest86 for 3 laps passed and no errors. After that I went to windows and then all these funny things started happening. My screen goes black for a 1-2 secs every now and then. Between 10-30 mins. Then I got some graphical flaws in windows but I haven't seem them anymore. (All happening during one day). And when I play oblivion now I sometimes get "corrupted" textures. So what I have done so far is re-installed my display drivers and the VIA4in1 chipset drivers. I haven't booted after the chipset upgrade. Machine is running within normal settings. No overclocking or any other settings. So if someone would have any good ideas I would apreciate it :)

Machine specs:
AMD Athlon 64 +3700 @ 2,2Ghz "San Diego"
Asus A8V K8T800pro
4xKVR400X64C3A/512
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra GS "Gainward"
Creative Audigy 2 EX "The one with the exterior module... not sure of the model here"

PS: If someone likes to guess the heat as the problem, I could say forget it. 3D card stays normally under 60 when idle and cpu is around 40 all the time.

Seems like the problem lies somewhere between the system and the 3D card. Or just the 3D card. By uninstalling the drivers and running the machine without any 3D drivers I am able to use the machine without any kind of flickers. I can't test for the texture corruption but this helps alot... atleast this is what I think.

Just to make sure everything else is working fine I removed the 2 new modules of memory and everything started running smoothly again. Next what I'm going to do is get some older nvidia drivers and istall them and then plug the extra modules back. And one thing I have been thinking is, is 2gb of memory supported by windows xp pro sp1? or might it be that the system is somehow unable to use the memory properly. Or is it something more deep than that.

That motherboard shows that it can support 4 Gigs of RAM, so that isn't the issue.

Why in the heck are you using Service Pack 1 on that PC? Before trying anything else, I would update Windows.

iv used 2GBs on winXP pro Sp1 with no problem.

perhaps your memcontroller is just unstable.... its not the amount of Ram installed that stress's the memcontroller, its the # of total banks of ram witch determains the stress put on the memcontroller.

1 double sided ram stick = 2 banks of ram. so 4x 512mbs = 8banks of ram... 2x 1Gb = 4banks of ram.

Im not shur whats standard on the 'Sandiago core' but i remember some A64's defaulted to 333 fsb with 4 dimms because the memcontroler wasnt designed for 4dimms. just like the skt754 A64 defaults to 333 with just more then 1 Double sided ram stick installed.

Put your fsb down to 333 and see if you experience any of the glitches you describe.

or if you wonted you could also try puting just 3 of the sticks in = 1.5Gbs ram, and set FSB to 400 and see if it still glitches.

Thanks alot guys... that helped alot even if I can't solve it. I have to try again with that 333Mhz but last time I tried it it decresed my performance quite drasticly. 5800 score from 3Dmark 05 -> 4300 score.
So If it shows results like that again I'm just going to ditch this project and sell forward those memory modules. Guess I'm still going to ask asus regarding that stress thing. I don't want to waste those modules for nothing but hey. I really appreciate this. Thanks! :)

Oh and for some of you who are still intrested and willing to help me out here's a picture of the results form the memory update.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/krissez/w00t.jpg

That was one of the symtops it produced and the other one was a black screen like when you install new display drivers and the screen flicks to black for a sec when it applies the drivers.

But anyways if you like keep the ideas coming... I'm going to go and confirm this with asus. (IF they feel like answering) :)

The mobo manufacturer probably can answer the questions, Gigabyte was pritty helpfull conserning a CPU issue that i asked them one time.

but anyway, the MemoryController on the A64's is integarted to the CPU Core.... thats why there is no NorthBridge on A64 motherboards.

so you should also ask your question over here... http://forums.amd.com/

Thank you so much jolancer. You have been much of help to me. I will bother the AMD staff and forum members too. :) Asus wasn't very promising. They just gave me some basic instructions I have allready done. + they said I should update my BIOS with a BIOS update that wasn't on their site. :( I'm kinda dissapointed in them. Then again they must have lot's of these kind of inquiries. But I'll get back to here when I get some more info.

Oh and btw asus said it's completally ok to manually force the bus to 400Mhz. So it shoudn't be a problem. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom