Memtest86

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. Ive downloaded memtest86, but I don't know how to install or use it. So, how do I do those?

first of you mean you got the regular memtest86 or memtest86+ ? the + is tweaked and have better hardware support , if you didnt get the + edition then get it ,
for cd - http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip
or for floppy - http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.zip

now how to *use*

if you downloaded the cd version
unzip and run nero and in menu goto recorder-->burn image , or in nero express click "disc image or saved project" , eiterway just select the iso file (that file you unzipped) and burn , if you dont use nero then i cant explain how to get it done but theres a great free program for burning disc images called imgburn http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ImgBurn.htm in menu goto file-->browse and select the iso file and click the play button to start burning (insert a blank cd first otherwise it will be grayed out) , once you got it on cd do a restart and get into the bios and set the boot order properly (make the optical drive the first in the list) save & exit then it will boot from it and memtest86+ will automatically start checking the ram

if you downloaded the floppy version
unzip and run *install* , it will ask for a drive letter put only a not a:\ or a: and put a floppy disk in the drive and press enter after a few moments it should finish , then restart and get into the bios and set the floppy drive first on the boot order (but if its alredy like that and you see the floppy drive light flashing just before windows loads then i guess you can skip that part) anyway after it will boot from it memtest86+ will automatically start checking the ram

memtest86+ runs constantly (until you hit the reset button) i suggest youll let it do at least 11 passes , soposally bad ram addresses will be displayed in a red background , i think you can also test the stability with other timings on the fly (you can change em temporarly without entering the bios, from memtest86+ options (access the menu by clicking C)

reasons for unstable ram are:
1) too tight timings
2) too low voltage
3) overclocking (when overclocking the ram speed goes up too..)
4) the mobo simply dislikes that ram , in some cases a bios update can fix it
5) its plain bad

in some cases only 1 stick is bad so if you have more then 1 , test each seperatly (but only after playing with the timings/voltage)

Cool! Thanks, Jeremy.

I didnt realize that ram with too tight of timings could cause errors. Hopefully my new OCZ ram won't cause trouble. It's 2-3-2-5

you welcome :) , you got the timings issue the wrong way thats not what i meant , i meant that when using lower timings then the originals for example if the stick is 3-3-3-8 and then you change it to 2-3-3-8 it might not handle it well

jeremy said:
you welcome :) , you got the timings issue the wrong way thats not what i meant , i meant that when using lower timings then the originals for example if the stick is 3-3-3-8 and then you change it to 2-3-3-8 it might not handle it well

Hmm.......well here's where I stand.

My current ram according to CPUZ.

Current-Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-5

New OCZ ram-2-3-2-5

See any potential conflicts there?

*Edit*

Which area in CPUZ should I be looking for to get the correct timings? The 2.5-3-3-5 was under the 'Memory' tab.

However, under the SPD tab I see timings of 2.0-2-2-5. Which one is the right one?

the timings are shown on the "memory" tab (the timings that all sticks currently use,you cant set timings in seperate for each stick) , on "spd" it shows the original timings of each stick (you can select the memory slot ontop..) , might wanna look at the definition http://www.answers.com/topic/spd , anyway when having 2 sticks with diffrent timings you need to find the optimal timings for both to work well together and it seems you alredy done that 2.5-3-3-5 considering boths original timings is pretty solid , although you might be able to get em stable on 2-3-3-5 or even 2-3-2-5 if youll up the voltage a bit , anyway to another issue not quite sure how many sticks you got but if its 3 thats not so good as it lowers the performance cuz it will run in single channel mode and not dual, you gotta have 2 or 4 same sized sticks in order for it to run in dual channel

Sorry, I should have clarified abit better. I'm taking out the 2x512 sticks that are rated at 2.5-3-3-5. I'm replacing them with the 1gigx2 sticks that run at 2-3-2-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom