Harddrive problems after upgradeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmin

Solid State Member
I previously had two hard drives in my computer; a WD 80gb and a Maxtor DiamondMax plus 9, 250gb slave. prior to upgrading, they both worked fine.

I just put all new parts in my computer, including a new motherboard: MSI K8N Neo-F. I didn't touch the hard drives at all in the upgrading process, but the I cannot get the Maxtor to work.

The bios detects the Maxtor, but lists it with a funny name of random characters. The capacity listed was somewhere around 8,026kb. I figured the bios had so I flashed is with a new version. Now the name of the Maxtor in the bios is Laxtfr, or something to that apearence (two characters are wrong) and the capacity shows the same untill I press enter on auto detect; It then shows 111gb or a number just above 100.

At this point the Maxtor was not detected in windows at all, so i disabled it in the bios and that allowed it to be detected by windows computer management. I read somewhere to use the wizard to initialize the drive, but nothing happens when I do that (I havn't tried converting it because what I read said not to do it). The software that comes with the Maxtor allows me to "Set Up" the drive, but I get to a point where it says it is going to partition it and it scares me to continue because I have very important information on the drive that I can't afford to lose.

Any ideas?

the computer as it stands now consists of:

MSI K8N Neo-F motherboard
MSI 6600GT video card
Athlon 64 3000+ 939
WD 80gb HD
Maxtor 250gb HD

Windows XP Pro

Yeah, it was loose, that's a little bit embarassing; however, it still will not work in windows. The maxtor software MaxBlast 3 still wants me to partition it, but I dont want to lose the information.

Computer management now shows "Online" for the drive after I initialized it, but still shows unallocated under it. It is not unallocated.

Anything I can do to ensure I don't lose information?

I have never done that before, can you explain what exactly it is I would need to do?

I am currently downloading Slax, does that one work for checking partitions?

I realize now that I don't have any cds available to burn the linux live to.

Upon further research, however, I was able to find a program called Partition Table Doctor 3. This program found partition table error and virtually corrected them, showing me the original parititions that I used to have on the hard drive. This program is a demo only though, so it will not write the new table to the drive.

I am fairly certain this is the fix I am looking for, do you know of any partition table repair tools that I can use one time for free?

Solved!

Thanks for all your help, nightstick, I have finally got it working.

Problem: Secondary Hardrive not recognized as having any partitions as it was previously in Windows.

Cause: I assume it was running the computer with the cord half-way plugged in, but there could have been other reasons.

Solution: Repair the partition table: either manually or by using a automated tool such as Partition Table Doctor 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom